1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some advice on effects pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dusty762, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    Hi all,
    As the title suggests I'm in the market for some effects pedal to replace my Boss ME50-B unit that I have used for several years.
    I have got to the point now where I'm finding the unit won't deliver what I'm trying to achieve, especially when I'm layering up the effects.
    Ideally I need distortion, phase and flange with some chorus and delay.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks all,

2. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    A little more info on what you're trying to achieve would be helpful. What genres of music do you play? Is there a specific musician's tone you like? What kind of a budget do you have? How heavy of a distortion are you looking for? etc. and so forth.

3. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    Thanks for the quick response.
    We cover various different rock tracks. I would like to try and reproduce the sounds (as near as financially possible anyway) that Muse produce on tracks like "Plug in baby" & "Uprising".
    Budget: couple of hundred
    Currently using a G&L 2000

4. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Muse. OK, that's a good starting point. There have been a LOT of discussions here of Muse and Chris Wolstenholme's tone, and a trip through our search engine on this forum section should net you all kinds of info. I'm not personally qualified to talk much about Muse's tones; I dig their work, but I play mostly older rock styles with less complex use of effects. Chris bi-amps and even tri-amps with multiple effect rigs to get his tone; be warned, the Muse rabbit hole goes deep. In the meantime, here's Chris' Equipboard profile, which includes many of the pedals he uses, as well as a video tour of his rig.

Chris Wolstenholme's Equipboard

Hope that helps get you started.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    TheDominoKid likes this.
  5. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I think you'll find a lot of good specific advice if you search for threads based on each effect type you've chosen.

With an eye towards keeping costs down, here's a couple of basic suggestions for good intro pedals

Distortion - splits into drive, distortion, and fuzz (light, medium, heavy)
    - Drive - Joyo ultimate or DOD 250
    - Distortion - idiotbox blower box
    - Fuzz - Vick audio Black Russian or any cheap ZVEX wooly mammoth clone

Phase - MXR phase 90 or dod201

Flange - boss bf-2 or dod fx72

Chorus - EHX bass clone, MXR micro chorus, or Danelectro fab (18v version)

Delay - splits into digital/analog (clear repeats, dark repeats)
    - Digital - Boss DD3
    - Analog - EHX memory toy or behringer vintage delay

All of these are often recommended, easy to use, and among the cheapest in their category, but still definitely good enough that you'll find them on pro and semi-pro boards. You may find that you want to replace any one, but you probably won't find that you have to.

6. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    Thank you for the comprehensive and much valued feedback. I'll use this info, in the next couple of days, and let you know how I get on. I'll have a search around to see who's got all these in stock and go and have a play ...
    Thanks all,
    Brilliant answers ...

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah Wolstenholme's "dirt sound" palette is tough to replicate since he's running as many as 3-4 pedals at once, like a Muff+Animato+Prunes&Custard just for one track. Maybe try an OD or distortion combined with a cheapo Little Bear BS1 or a Mooer Fog to add the synthy feel on top and I think you'd be in the neighborhood for not much dosh.

8. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    There's a lot of gear I've never heard of here.... this is going to be interesting ... The Muff unit and the Prunes and Custard unit seem to be a common recommendation... that's probably going to be the foundation to whatever I end up with ....

9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    The Prunes is a very specific effect, like a rounded fuzz with an envelope-filter characteristic to it, and all by itself a used one will take up 3/4 of your "couple hundred bucks" budget. I love the sound, but keep selling them when I get them because unless I'm playing Muse tunes or just noodling at home, it doesn't get much airtime. The other two fuzzes I mentioned are of the "woolly-mammoth" flavor and are way way less expensive - combine one of those with any-ol' overdrive and you can get a pretty Musey sound IMHO.

10. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    When has a bassist ever stuck to a budget !!! A couple of hundred clearly means 4

11. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    A lot of the stuff comes through the classifieds here at a pretty regular clip, often at half to 2/3 of the retail price. I've had almost uniformly good experiences buying on talkbass, it's a good way forward if you're trying to keep the cost down

12. ^ this... Lurk the classifieds and you will find great pedals at good prices. Talkbass members are gear heads and routinely flip pedals impulsively (me).

13. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    Good call gents.... I shall trawl the Classifieds section from work tonight ... shouldn't be too busy

14. GTG666

GTG666

Aug 13, 2016
    United Kingdom
    There is an epic boutique effects pedals range called 'Dr Green' they are made by Ashdown engineering (Ashdown Engineering). I own an awesome fuzz pedal they made which is very versatile. I also use a Boss HF2 High band flanger.

15. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    From what I recall, someone here did a good job of copping something close to Chris' complicated dirt tone with a Darkglass B3K or B7K. I remember there was a video of it. Perhaps on Youtube?

smogg likes this.
  16. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    Just checked the video and it's real nice ... this is going to be tricky ...

17. In addition to the suggestions above..To get an inexpensive muse sound. I like a Digitech bass synth wah into a muff type fuzz. The Digitech bsw's are about 50$. Used. And the black Russian muff Chris has been known to use is about 100$ I use my Bsw on setting 4. And set all the controls low...It's a great synth pedal for cheap that also will do a clean octave down an auto wah and envelope filter sounds along with a couple dedicated synth settings great bang for your buck

Dusty762 likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My advice is to get your dirt sorted first, and don't add any other effects till you do. And don't get a whole bunch of pedals and add them all at once. Best to go one at a time IMHO, although admittedly chorus and flange are easier to add than dirt. Dirt can be a little tricky.

smogg, ObsessiveArcher, 40Hz and 5 others like this.
  19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Another word of advice:
    If you plan to use a couple of pedals, a tuner comes in handy, you might want to add one to your shopping list.
    To save a lot of hassle, it is always recommended to place multiple pedals on a pedalboard. There are many out there,
    as well as DIY instructions. Leaving two things: Powering the pedals and connecting them.
    It is helpful to have a look into pedalboard power units, because the differences in price and quality are astounding.
    As soon as you have a digital pedal on your board, a simple power unit might not be strong enough. Or even worse,
    a unit without isolated outputs might cause a lot of noise.
    Same goes for the cables. Buy decent ones. If you want your board to have as much room as possible, the flat EBS Cables are a cheap solution that works, Lava cable and George L's have DIY solderless custom cables with a tiny diameter and small plugs. These are expensive. But worth it. I bought cheap cables before buying George L's. I gave the cheap cables to a friend, who wanted to buy cheap cables. He bought a set of Lavas afterwards.

Crowd crusher and Dusty762 like this.
  20. Dusty762

Dusty762

Jan 30, 2017
    Huddersfield
    The tuner was a bit of given to be honest ... the power supply wasn't so . The pedal board looks like there are loads of options. That's going to have to be something I try before I buy.