1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some advice on how to wire a humbucker and p-bass split pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Simonolly, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    Hello, I'm a first time kit builder and I wanted to ask for some advice on how to wire up a bass with a humbucker and a p bass split pickup. Like what capacitor I should use or whether I should use 250 or 500 pots and any other tips and tricks I should know. The kit comes with a plate with 2 pot holes and a 3 way toggle switch (should I switch out the toggle?) and I really don't want to make anymore holes in the body.

Thanks,
    Simon

Humbucker
    P-Bass Split
    (PS I found this diagram, I know its for guitar but would it be similar to how I should wire my bass?)

2. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    welcome to the obsession!

this is my main bass, originally wired like that diagram (maybe with a 47nF cap instead), but I found the toggle switch not nearly as useful on bass as on guitar.
    currently it has a 500k mn taper blend pot (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005G3WK5E?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title this one), 250k volume and tone. I tend to play just slightly favoring the p side of the center detente. gives the gigs punch and mids of the p with some of the attack/articulation of the bridge humbucker

one other thing I found was that I needed to raise the height of my bridge humbucker (8k dcr) you balance better with the strong p (like 14k dcr). don't be afraid to fiddle with the heights until you get good sounds

3. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    How should I wire it if I put in a taper blend pot? What should I do about the plate, it only has 2 holes for pots and that toggle switch hole can I rework that hole to fit a pot or should I find a new plate?

4. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    toggle switch hole should work. may need to be reamed out slightly to fit a pot through
    the volume and tone will be wired the same as your diagram, just with a 47nf cap
    check out the post I'll link below for blend pot wiring... I often quadruple check pot/switch actions before soldering because I hate desoldering and resoldering

Jazz Bass Blend Pot Wiring - HELP!

5. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    would this work for vol and tone plus capacitor
    and this for blend pot?

6. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    what kind of knobs does your kit have? is the inside smooth or knurled?
    split shaft pots are best for knurled knobs (you can use knobs that have a smooth inside with a set screw, but I always have trouble getting them on properly so they can spin on axis)
    smooth shaft pots have to use knobs with set screws

7. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    Im not sure (I ordered the kit last night) but this is a picture from the order page

8. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    ahhh it's a telecaster blade-style switch. so you will have to drill a hole to mount the third pot, as that switch mounts through an inch or so long slot. I suppose you're going to need either a third knob that matches those, or three matching knobs later

9. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    Ok so I have some of the parts here, the blend pot is not here so I started putting some things together, here's the plate so far. 20190212_030554. 20190212_030541.

thetragichero and mikewalker like this.
  10. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    Ok so I've run into something that I need help with, Im not sure how to install this humbucker pickup on the bass. Its got the four corner holes that hold the plate to the wood but what about the actual pickup? Do I just sandwich it between the plate and the wood or do I put the pole screws through the plate or something?
    20190213_154557. 20190213_154630. 20190213_154607.

11. The 4 screws in the corners attach to the body. Typically, there will be foam like you would use under a J or P pickup to hold the pickup up against the cover. Occasionally, I have had to cut out a mounting ring to raise up the pickup if it is too low and add more foam underneath.

12. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    oh ok, thanks I just wanted to be sure before I start screwing stuff down

13. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    I know this is a newbie question, but when I start wiring which way is shown on diagrams? like on the blend pot 20190214_052228. 20190214_052237. which is the top row?

14. Here's a helpful picture I found on here, I believe, a long time ago.

image1.

15. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    thanks!

16. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    also to be sure that top right is ground, right?

17. You can jumper the other 2 leads and connect to ground. Search here for a thread about ungrounded blend pots. I have done both.

18. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    so I saw through the little metal connection on the bottom right and top left the jump a wire from top right to bottom left (double checking cuz i don't want to be halfway done soldering and have to restart)

19. It is hard to see in the picture. The white wire that says "out" by it is connected to the terminal diagonally across from it with another wire that goes around the back of the pot. If you want a ground connection, jumper the other two diagonally opposed terminals. Another way to look at it might be to make an X with the outer terminals. One is out to the volume or preamp the other is ground.

I hope that helps. Not sure a better way to explain it.

20. Simonolly

Simonolly

Nov 18, 2015
    I looked up unblended pots and saw this post and thats where i thought i had to saw through the metal tracer things.