Some advice on new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G5L1C3, Nov 8, 2003.

1. G5L1C3

Mar 11, 2003
    Hey, i've done some searches on this..but im gonna ask some questions related to me:

1) I play in a metal band...but i love many kinds of music...jazz, blues, funk, fussion stuff. And im looking for a bass which is extremely versatile and works good with finger tech., Slap/pop, and tapping.

2) Do you think active or passive would be better.

3) has anyone bought a intrument off ebay...can you trust ebay..

thankss so much
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    A Jazz bass would work.

Try a few and see what you like. You might find that active is more versatile. I prefer passive but that's just me. Again play a few and see what your ears say.

I haven't, but that is because I prefer to play them before I buy.

Good Luck,

Dan :bassist:
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    1) Fender American/Standard Jazz bass

2)Passive probably.

3)Yea i have. It is reliable as long as you ask the seller many questons about the bass to make sure he actually has it.
  4. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Can you trust ebay?

Well, as you are no doubt aware, Ebay is not a single entity, but rather thousands of sellers. I think you will find most sellers to be honest in what they are doing and rather helpful in answering any questions that you have about their merchandise. However, there a few people who are abusing the system and ripping people off. Thats just the nature of an anonymous online environment like Ebay.

The best thing you can do is find a seller with a good past history (altough account theft has happened), and a good product description. Obviously, contact him/her- often times if they are selling fraudulent products then they will not know how to properly answer your questions.

Best of luck in your bass buying endevours!
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My $0.02...

1) Like just about everyone else...I'd recommend a Jazz bass type instrument. How about a 5 string Jazz?

2) If your amp has adequate EQ and you don't change your settings a lot mid-song, passive electronics would be fine. Tried and true and no batteries to worry about.

3) Like hibeam wrote, you have to find a good seller. I always ask questions before I bid...if I don't get an answer, or a crappy answer, I don't bid, period. Ask the seller for a trial period...a day or two is fair.

My biggest fear is really that UPS or whom ever will destroy the bass enroute and it's a major pain in the rear to get them to pay up on a damage claim.

Read the seller's feedback too, see what they've been buying and selling.

A lot of us here on TalkBass also dabble in eBay too. My wife can attest to that:D

Good luck!!!