Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some advice on walking over There Is No Greater Love, please?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Marcus, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I'm playing with a local ensemble at the moment, and I'm having a bit of trouble walking over There Is No Greater Love.

Granted, I only heard and saw the tune for the first time last night, but after getting the chart, I kinda froze up and wasn't able to produce a really solid line at the practice.

So... this one is for the experienced crowd.

Some general advice on walking in general would be great, too.

Thanks.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    One piece of advice would be to try not be nervous which would enable your brain to do it's thing a lot better. The other piece of advice would be to get to the point where you can look at a chord symbol and at least play all of the notes in the chord in real time. Once you've got that down, which will also reduce your anxiety level because it will be familiar material as opposed to unfamiliar material you'll have more room to explore different things to play over the changes.

There are other threads around here describing walking, etc, etc., just search and you'll find them.

3. Thank you for the advice.

The difficulty I have with what you mentioned, is putting all of that into practice.

It's easy for me to focus and think to myself, "I'm playing this here, to this there" but it gets difficult when I start to lag in terms of rhythm. It's pretty much a snowball effect.

I'll be sure to search for some walking tips and above all I'll keep practicing.