some advice on wireless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mosb3, Mar 23, 2004.

1. mosb3

mosb3

Mar 23, 2004
    howdy,

i've recently begun playing much larger venues and think it's become necessary to go wireless. i'm a bit particular about my tone and have some concerns about the wireless making things sound thin or brittle.

i was wondering if anyone has any recomendations or experiences with certain systems or could point me toward some reviews.

if it makes a difference, my current set-up is usually a conklin 5 string through a hartke 3500XL, hartle 2X10, and swr 115.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks, matt

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think you missed this stickied thread at top:
    Moved. Have a nice day.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm reasonably happy with my Samson Airline Bass wireless however............

Before you even think about a wireless, try to understand "Companding". Without getting too technical, it is basically the way the wireless tramsmitter compresses the audio in order to send a nice even signal to the reciever. The reciever than has to un-compress the signal in order to make it sound as dynamic and natural as possible.

The reason I bring it up is because no-one has perfected that companding algorithm yet. Some say that the Sennhieser digital unit comes closest but I keep reading mixed reviews. So it's one of those trade-offs you have to live with when you decide to embrace the benefits of going wireless.

4. inazone

inazone Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I dont know alot about wireless but I use a x wire and I cant tell a difference on stage between it or a cable. I play 5 string through a pre/power with bergantino cabs. My guitarist uses the top of the line sure ( dont know the model # ) and it sound good as well with bass. good luck.

5. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Nady for one....and EV for the other

Love em both

I will never go back to cabled on stage...simple as that!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Another vote for the Samson Airline Wireless system for bass...I don't mean to contradict our honoured mod, but that particular unit does have a "Shape" setting which scoops the mids and boosts the bass and treble, a la Bassmaster/Traynor's Scoop (formerly Contour) control, or the Aural Enhancer found on SWR amps.

;)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I haven't been able to find a use for that other "shape" setting. I don't particularly like it.

Tell me RevGroove, you you notice a slight difference in sound when you slap, specifically on the pop? I can hear it as clear as day. It's not bad enough for me to stop using the unit, but it's there........ it's as though there's a bit of 4k missing and it's a little bit dirty sounding. Or maybe that's just how my Stingray reacts with it?

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I notice something like that when I use the Shape setting. I already have that with the "Scoop" knob on my amp, so I've stopped using it. I've not noticed it so much with the normal setting, though I had to lower the level of the onboard compressor, and that seemed to help. I'll know for sure after Sunday morning and report back then.