Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some advice on wireless?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mosb3, Mar 23, 2004.

1. mosb3

mosb3

Mar 23, 2004
    howdy,

i've recently begun playing much larger venues and think it's become necessary to go wireless. i'm a bit particular about my tone and have some concerns about the wireless making things sound thin or brittle.

i was wondering if anyone has any recomendations or experiences with certain systems or could point me toward some reviews.

if it makes a difference, my current set-up is usually a conklin 5 string through a hartke 3500XL, hartle 2X10, and swr 115.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks, matt

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think you missed this stickied thread at top:
    Moved. Have a nice day.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm reasonably happy with my Samson Airline Bass wireless however............

Before you even think about a wireless, try to understand "Companding". Without getting too technical, it is basically the way the wireless tramsmitter compresses the audio in order to send a nice even signal to the reciever. The reciever than has to un-compress the signal in order to make it sound as dynamic and natural as possible.

The reason I bring it up is because no-one has perfected that companding algorithm yet. Some say that the Sennhieser digital unit comes closest but I keep reading mixed reviews. So it's one of those trade-offs you have to live with when you decide to embrace the benefits of going wireless.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I dont know alot about wireless but I use a x wire and I cant tell a difference on stage between it or a cable. I play 5 string through a pre/power with bergantino cabs. My guitarist uses the top of the line sure ( dont know the model # ) and it sound good as well with bass. good luck.

5. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Nady for one....and EV for the other

Love em both

I will never go back to cabled on stage...simple as that!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Another vote for the Samson Airline Wireless system for bass...I don't mean to contradict our honoured mod, but that particular unit does have a "Shape" setting which scoops the mids and boosts the bass and treble, a la Bassmaster/Traynor's Scoop (formerly Contour) control, or the Aural Enhancer found on SWR amps.

;)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I haven't been able to find a use for that other "shape" setting. I don't particularly like it.

Tell me RevGroove, you you notice a slight difference in sound when you slap, specifically on the pop? I can hear it as clear as day. It's not bad enough for me to stop using the unit, but it's there........ it's as though there's a bit of 4k missing and it's a little bit dirty sounding. Or maybe that's just how my Stingray reacts with it?

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I notice something like that when I use the Shape setting. I already have that with the "Scoop" knob on my amp, so I've stopped using it. I've not noticed it so much with the normal setting, though I had to lower the level of the onboard compressor, and that seemed to help. I'll know for sure after Sunday morning and report back then.