1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some advice please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I'm gonna be gone for 10 days pretty soon and will be unable to play any of my stringed beauties (it's gonna be difficult haha) and I figured that I could use this opportunity to take my favorite bass into a nice shop for a checkup and some work that I've neglected and fix string buzzing issues that I can't seem to figure out. But, I could also really use a tuner pedal, strap and a flanger. unfortunately, money is tight right now and I have some gigs coming up.

So it's either:
    A: pro fret dress, setup with a new set of flats and general checkup

or

B: a nice tuner pedal, new strap and a flanger pedal

I'm torn between the two, so I'm turning to the ever trusty TB guys and gals. I've never had a setup on any of my instruments before (I can do everything but frets), so idk what kind if improvement would take place with professional doing it.

(Mods,If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move)

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Fret leveling/dressing improvement depends on how bad your frets are and what kind of action you like.

A careful truss-rod adjustment, neck shim and intonation could do wonders. Lowering the nut profile also helps sometimes (just be careful there, a little goes a long way).

I would get the accessories...

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I vote for the instrument maintenance. The bass ideally will help you make the money to buy the other things.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The bass is a couple years old now and there's a couple of noticeably high frets and some noticeable wear from some vicious rounds that I used to use. I know how to do a basic setup (action, neck shim, intonation, truss, nut profile) I just dont know how to do fret work (so it's never been done) it's functional as is but I'd like to have lower action since my tendinitis seems to be flaring up again...

But i'd also benefit largely from pedals and a wider padded strap.