1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some advice/tab on bass line for "Ooh Child"

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by davel66, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Folks,
    I need to learn this one rather quickly for a gig coming up soon. I can't find the bass sheet music or tab anywhere and right now trying to learn this tune by ear on short notice is beyond my skill level (I wanna be there someday!).

I found this chord chart for this tune and am thumping on the roots with enough competence to back the choir (the main showpiece for this performance). I have other songs with decent grooving bass lines in this gig (i.e. I Wish, I'll Take You There, Shining Star) so I don't need to represent with an intricate line. But I would like to do a little more than the roots and don't have a clue.

The bassline for the recorded version is pretty involved (for a hacker like me) so essentially I am looking for some hints at how to fake a decent line (i.e. is there one scale I can move around in, a decent pattern to play, etc.)

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Were it me, I'd take to the bass drum for the accent and "lay in the weeds" with the root notes. Maybe an occasional octave?

Josh

3. I would suggest a good first step would be to learn the simple triads which are the components of all chords, and then use the 3rds (major or minor), and 5ths as stepping stones to navigate from one chord to another. Once you have that down, study the additional components of each chord beyond the triads. Is there a 7th involved? Is it major or minor?

You'll also notice a very common thing on your chart, specific instructions to include a bass note which is not the root of the chord, for instance F/A. This tells you that you need to play the major 3rd (third note of the F major scale), instead of the F as the root.

This is very common when you are required to play an ascending or descending bass line, for instance:

Bb F/A Gm7 C7 is very typical.

Hope this is helpful, also be sure to learn your major/minor/ and dominant 7th scales ASAP, there are probably many resources on this group to help you do that.

4. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Valerie craters version is tuned down a half step I believe, and the opening part is G F sharp E Then A on your G or D string. Then D F sharp E open A string 3 times when the vocals do the bop bop bathing. Then it repeats and alternates between using A on the D string and low open A at the end of eEach D F sharp E pattern then it will go up and repeat the same pattern but play it in the G String or just higher up up on your D string the bores are C B A D octave D then I gotta check on that middle part.

5. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    The middle part goes to C on the A string then up to C on the G string and does a little hammer on pull off thingy from C to D to C also I noticed after just listening to Valerie darters version again that the bass player alternates between octaves on parts of the verses listen close too the recording and u will here where he sumtimes drops the part down for a couple notes then takes the part back up an octave. Very effective bass line yet pretty simple stuff. I love this song and I like both the 5 stair steps version and Valerie Carters version. I do not know the 5 stair steps version right off hand on bass. I do believe they play it possibly 5 notes lower the entire song. I will have to check that version out again. It's been along time since I've played along to the original version. Hope this helps a little at least. The note values are quarter note eighth note half note then 2 quarters in the octave jumps. During the verses.