1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metalhead8590, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    Hey guys im looking to buy a new amp and i want something that'll last me, is reliable and something i dont have to blow a hole in my wallet with.

so far ive come up with a couple options for myself

An ashdown rig

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAG300H
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDABM410T

or simply a 100 watt crate like this one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_crate_bt100_bass_combo_amp?full_sku=102640539

id rather go with a head/cabinet, but seeing as how any decent setup is pretty expensive i may have to go with combos.

if anyone could help id really appreciate it.

2. The 300H head is a good choice; I have one and I really like it. It cuts through nicely in a band.

As for the cabinet, you could save some money by going with an Avatar cabinet or a Dr. Bass cabinet. I don't have any personal experience with either of these, but both are quite popular here on Talkbass. Also, don't completely disregard the Ashdown MAG series cabinets. I have the 2x10" cabinet, and it sounds really good; in my opinion, it sounds almost as good as the ABM series cabinets, but is less than half of the price. Also, the ABM cabinets are quite heavy; Avatar, Dr. Bass, and the MAG series cabinets are much lighter.

3. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    have you heard anything about the MAG 600 watt head?

4. IMHO get the ASHDOWN 300H amp & an AVATAR cab!!!! Best bang for buck BY FAR!!!!!!!!

5. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    would it be better to get a 4 ohm or 8 ohm avatar cab with the mag 300h?

6. Do you ever plan on "expanding" the rig ??

If you are going to just play one cabinet, and not look to grow, then get the 4 ohm.

If there is a possibility of expanding the rig, then get the 8 ohm cab. This way you can add another cab down the road.

7. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    But i heard if you hook up an 8 ohm you get more power

8. Nope.

8 ohm is MORE resistance than 4 ohm, therefore less power goes to a 8 ohm load.

The minimum ohm load on the Ashdown is 4 ohms. If you hook up a 8 ohm cab, it will get less than the 300 watts advertised. However, you can still get another 8 ohm cab later which will give you a 4 ohm total load.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021