Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some advise on marcus miller jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Mar 5, 2004.

1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I would like to buy a marcus miller jazz bass 4 strings and i need some advise from owners ....if i rewire the pots can i really obtain the tipical jazz (jaco) sound ? in passive mode i've the pot for the tone or not?
    I really love the shape of the marcus miller but i can't make a decision.... better the marcus or an american jazz standard?
    thank you for your support....please help!!!!

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Marcus Miller, good lord, get the Marcus Miller

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would like to buy a marcus miller jazz bass 4 strings and i need some advise from owners ....if i rewire the pots can i really obtain the tipical jazz (jaco) sound ? in passive mode i've the pot for the tone or not?

I have done this mode and this is what I can tell you.
    It will truley bypass the pre-amp in passive mode
    It will give you the sound of an passive ash/maple bass
    Jaco's bass was alder and rosewood, so that answer is no
    There will be no working tone control in passive mode

It will also stop the drain on the battery which drains as long as the switch is in active mode (even when the bass is unplugged), a problem the bass has when it comes from Japan. Before the mod the basses pre-amp is always on, in passive mode it is just set flat thus the draining battery.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I don't own one but played em enough to have an opinion, I've never actually heard one rewired, I did notice that stock the "passive" mode was still kind of colored, another option you can go with is go with the custom Marcus Miller U-Retro preamp, bassnw carries these I think or you can get em straight from the US distributor, he posts here as Dude, and he has a site with forums called the dudepit. I've heard this in Captain Scarlet's MM4, and was very impressed, gave it better tonal options on active and passive sounded passive, but I do love the Retro preamps in general :p

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I forgot to mention that I also sometimes use a Aguilar DB924 pre-amp with all my basses includind the Marcus Miller. I asked about the J-retro when I was looking for a pre and was told the J-retro would color my sound. The Aggie gives you the sound of the bass with a pre, not the sound of a pre with a bass. Plus the 924 is an outboard, use it with any bass active or passive.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The J-Retro has a bit of color to it when in active mode, but when I play my basses in passive, they don't sound colored at all, or maybe I'm just having hearing problems :p

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey dude,
    I see you live in NYC also. Go over to Guitar Boutique on 50th st/9th ave and talk with Jimmy C. formally of Rudy's on 48th street. He sold me the aggie pre-amp and makes his own pre-amp. He also sells a Suhr bass, (John Suhr) worked for Fender (mid 90'5 to 98 dlx jazz) and Rudy's I believe putting out a bass called Pensa Suhr. It was John who explained the different types of pre-amps and their characteristics to me. I wanted something that did not color my tone, thus picking the aggie DB924. I would have bought Jimmies pre but He makes them custom and I didn't want to wait. These guy's there are gentlemen in every aspect of business. Wonderful, knowledgeable to deal with.
    Real big dogs!

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    50th St/9th ave? Thats like 9blocks from school, please don't tempt me, I hate going into guitar shops cause I always gotta walk out with something, maybe I'll stop by one day without a credit card :p