Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some advise please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kevcooke, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Hey,

I did my first piece of session work in months the other day, and I was handed a spector bass to record with (not sure which model, it was around the £800 mark) because the guys I was recording for said my Yamaha didn't sound powerful enough. I listened back to the two takes, one with my yamaha, and one with this spector, and the difference was amazing. Between the two instruments which I'd say had similar equalisation, the Spector really stood out more in the mix. What pickups or preamps should I try to give my TRB1006 a stronger presence?

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    If I am not mistaken, Spector's use EMG PreAmps. BT-30 I think

3. Yeah, EMGs are on most Spectors but will differ depending on the model as some Spectors have an EMG P / J config, some have a single or a pair of EMGSSD soapbars. So you'll need to research what EMG pups fit in your bass...

Good luck!

4. Thanks for the response guys, I'll look into it. I'm not nessecarily looking for THAT tone though. Are there any other preamps and pickups that will give me a punchier, stronger sound? If so, where can I hear samples?

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You can upgrade to a few different preamps. EMG makes a BTS that I like alot. Bartolini and Agulira(sorry about the spelling) make great ones as well. The other thing you could try to boost the Preamp you allready have is to wire it in 18v.