1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some Aggie DB750 Advice, Please....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BuffaloBob4343, Mar 28, 2006.

1. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I currently have a DB659 which I run through various sized QSC amps depending upon the app. I am pleased with this combo, BTW, but of course I am a gear head and love the idea of adding tools to the tone toolbox

I have been giving very serious consideration to picking up a DB750. However, for those with experience, do you see any benefit to that or would you find it redundant?

My thinking is that the 750 has a different (if not more elaborate) PreAmp and I think there is something to the notion that having an integrated power section designed specifically for the preamp adds a character to the tone that cannot be achieved using a preamp in conjunction with a generic power amp (not that I thinnk QSC amps are bad, just sort of neutral in their affect on the overall sound). In fact, the benefit of flexibility is truly the vanguard of the Pre/Power amp combo, which I do appreciate.

Is this just my succumbing to the never-ending search for the best tone? Or is there some merit to my thinking?

Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dude. You NEEEEEEEEED a DB 750. 'Nuf said.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree get a DB750..............NOW!!!:D

4. The DB659 has been compared to the pre in the DB750 and while I agree to some extent, the REAL key to the sound of the 750 is the TOTAL PACKAGE...the 750 is one of the only amps (bass only or PA for that matter) that is designed to output its full rated power at ALL frequencies in the bass spectrum. That is the reason that the 750 is such a GREAT bass amp, the bass is the most demanding instrument for an amp to reproduce and the guys at Aggie have really nailed it in the design of this package. Very balanced and smooth, can get a bit gritty (though not overly so) if you want it, and capable of clobbering anything else on a stage......H I G H L Y Recommended! I say go for it!

Peace,

T

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

what he said :D

6. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey, thanks for the replies gentlemen. You are GAS enablers all! LOL!

Everything you have said reinforces my thinking on this. When I have sated my latest GAS lust, I will post again! :cool:

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I were you...I'd get the DB750, sell the DB659 and the QSC, then buy a DB680. I love Aggie prdocuts as you can tell. Great sound + great people backing it up = great product. I'm toying with the idea of getting a 750 as well.:help:

With that said, I actually think that the 659 is a good pre-amp. They sound great recorded. I always got a lot of compliments from other bands on the "Not the Typical SVT into an 8x10" sound. I think the downfall with the DB659 + QSC PLX series combo is really the interaction between the two. The input voltages aren't matched particulalry well (you can read about it on the site), which IMHO drains some of the volume and balls. I think the 659 paired with a different Power amp would sound phenominal and you'd hear less of an audible difference to the DB750. However, let me just echo what everyone is saying around here. The DB750 is a great package, where the pre and power are matched perfectly. If you can afford it, get it.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. The DB 659 with a Crest CA9 is pretty darn awesome, and just as good as the 750, IME/IMHO. The two definitely sound different, though, with the 659 being a bit more fat, warm, gritty/growly, and the 750 being a bit more crisp and bright. Though keep in mind, it is a very full souding amp, so this is just a relative thing!!!. And conversely, the 659 is not muddy or inarticulate in any way. I found similar results when I ran the 659 into the power amp in on the 750.

Tom.

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yup! I started to respond to this tread last night before anyone else had. I was well into it when I finished my first vodka martini, and then my wife presents me with my dinner... a truly fine pasta dish she cooked-up. So I ate that, and she brought me a fresh martini... I forgot all about my post-in-progress. It's still probably sitting there on my monitor screen back home... I'm at work right now.

Anyway... I've had my DB750 for seven months now. On the surface, it is a very simple amplifier... basic EQ-ing capability, low-end and high-end enhancing switches, and both Master and Gain volume knobs. It's got passive and active capability, as well as an Effects Loop... To me, that's simple enough and pretty much all I've ever needed.

Now... I have about as much technical prowess as a trailer park has a chance with one of them Texas tornados, so I ain't gonna talk about technical stuff. However, what I can say is this amp sounds as good, if not better, than anything else that the folks at Aggie-land (not that place in College Station...) have ever produced. It's well worth it's price... and it's weight, too! Every now and then I get to hook this beast up to an NV425 and and NV215... :eek: ...like someone else in this thread said: "...'Nuff said!"

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As a fan of lightweight power amps, I have to say that the power section of the DB750 kills. It's one of the few amps that I would not trade weight for tone for. It's super responsive, and has lots of headroom. I'd consider buying just the power section alone if possible.

The sound is just plain old out and out awesome.

If I had roadies, I'd bring 4 to every gig.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    omg,

when i grow the biceps i always wanted, i'm totally getting a DB750. like everyone else said, its the complete package that just cant be replicated no matter how hard you try to EQ your DB680. and yes, i tried. :meh:

again, i've fed a few different preamps into the power section of the 750, and hyperbole aside, its the warmest fattest thing ever. like the all tube power amp w/ the SS punch i always wanted. no joke.

again, my petition to dave & aguilar to have a power section only version of the 750 is still in the mail.

12. +1 and very good point! I have sent a 680 and a 659 through the power section of the 750 and the 750 on its own still beats them both hands down! I would give the nod to the 659 as sounding closer between the 2, but neither sounds exactly like the pre in the 750 (contrary to what some have said) to my ear at least. I had a 680 which I was using primarily in the studio (lost in the fire since) prior to getting the 750 and still think it is head and shoulders above a lot of other bass pres out there. The 680 combined with the power section of the 750 would be a MONSTER amp!! A totally different beast than a 750, and to be honest though, I have no problems at all with the 750 as is......:D

Peace,

T

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Two differing TX references in the same paragraph. Have you spent some time on the wrong side of the Red River?

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yup! Born in Big D, raised in Irving, and spent most of my time in Cowtown... Fort Worth to the unknowing... after graduating from UT Austin... class of '77, and the reigning national champs... but I am fully aware that OU, or as we affectionatey refer to that school north of the Red River... Zero-U... has SEVEN championships... but, hey... at least we are three and counting... We do have a wayward, black sheep in our family who became an Okie way back in '76. He wanted to become an airplane mechaninc, so he went up there to Tulsa... met a beautiful daughter of the Sooner State, had some babies together, and he decided to make Broken Arrow his home... I came out here to Paradise in '79... :D

15. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    WOW! I got busy and figured this thread was dead.

I was not aware of this mismatch, but always had a feeling that the pairing seemed underpowered for the wattage I was supposedly generating.

Now, you also suggested buying a DB680, which I have fully intended to do sometime in the future. Do you recommend playing the 680 through the power section of the 750, or were you suggesting the 680 be played through a non-QSC power amp, such as the Crest 9 as suggested by TomB for the 659?

And thanks for the response!

16. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    So Tom, do you think it's worth having both a 750 and a 659/CA9 given the differences in the sound? Of course, you may be the wrong person of whom to be asking that question!:D

17. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was so disappointed.. I was so sure that this story could only end up with your wife finally offering herself up as dessert!:D

I also appreciate your input (Texanisms included), especially from a fellow UT Alum, Law School class of 1991 (Hookem' Baby!).

18. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    OK, OK you guys have convinced me. A DB 750 is in my near future! Given the fact that I actually love my mismatched 659/QSC combo, the way you guys are talking, I should be having a tone orgasm when I finally get it and plug it into my Schros!

And speaking of which, from what I understand, the DB750 is Jorg's own choice for his cabs when gigging!

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To be honest, I would say that it is not worth having both. They do sound somewhat unique, but by tube swapping and EQ tweaking, you can get them both to sound very similar.

Tom.

20. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Some things must be left to one's imagination... ;)