1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

some assorted questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oric, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. Oric


    Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    Hey, I have a couple of questions that I thought were too small to warrant posting a new thread about on TB, but then I thought "hey, I'll just put them all in one thread!". Most of them involve doing things to basses I have, so I felt they would work best in here.

    1. Muting my Danelectro '63: I want to put flats and a mute on my Dano. What would be the best way to go about this?

    2. Where is the trussrod access on a Dano '63 anyway?

    3. Bridge/Pickup covers on my Jazz: I absolutely love the look of bridge and pickup covers on Fender basses. Only problem, I do slap a good amount, and play close to the bridge on occasion. Is it possible to do both of these on a covered MIM Jazz? Can one play between the pickups at all like this? I also have a BadAss II on it.

    4. Truss rod adjustment: what size Allen wrench do I need to use for a MIM Jazz, a Squier VM fretless, and a Dano '63?

    Thanks for y'all's help.
  2. DaveF


    Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I can only answer 3 and 4...

    Bridge/Pickup covers: You can definitely still slap and play near(ish) the bridge with them on, but be prepared to change your technique in order to be accurate. You can definitely play between them, there's enough space.

    Truss Rod: My new Fender came with the right allen key. Best bet is to get a good set of assorted ones, so down the road if you lose a key or buy a new bass you won't be out of luck!
  3. MatticusMania

    MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

    Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You can pick up a good set of assorted allen wrenches at the 99cent store, which I was recently informed will soon be the 99.9cent store
  4. Oric


    Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I found out number two- gotta take off the neck.
  5. 62bass


    Apr 3, 2005
    Question 1-Buy some Thomastic flatwounds--probably the 32" scale ones, but measure first. For a mute, a small piece of foam rubber about 1n inch wide under the strings just up against the bridge and just high enough to lightly touch the strings. Experiment until you get it right. Foam is cheap.
  6. Oric


    Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky

    Where would I acquire foam rubber?

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.