Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some basic help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Heckxx, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    allright, i dont really know much about this stuff, heh. I own an Ibanez SR-885 (5 string), i had the guitar initially setup and straightened with 45 gauge strings. But that was before i decided i was gonna change the tuning to drop C form(G,C,G,C,F). I get tons of fret buzz, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it gives me a korn-like sound. Ive done some minor adjusting myself with the bridge, raising the string levels because i couldn't play some of the notes on the first couples frets, the strings were that loose.

So i was just wondering if there are any general red flags i should look out for. Because my bass is quite wacked right now, heh. And what would I have to go about to get thicker strings to get my guitar more normal-like?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For drop C you want the heaviest strings you can get. Or get some high tension flatwounds such as Fender 9050s. You are looking for bridge cables here :D