Some Boss Pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 21, 2004.

1. I was looking at the boss chorus and overdrive pedals. Are they any good? I have heard mixed reviews about the chorus, but nothing really from the overdrive pedal. Please post any coments.
  2. well, i have the overdrive, i actually like it. if you want a sound sample, listen to "around the world" by rhcp. that is the sound that is easiest to get. i haven't tried the chorus pedal, but i am sure it is chorus-o-riffic.

3. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    So much of effects choice is personal preference. Anyway, I use the Boss CEB chorus and it is my personal favorite pedal - I use it for guitar and bass - my guitar skills are terrible but it does sound good. I didn't actually like the overdrive boss has that is specific for bass - but a lot of people like it. I have a SD-1 overdrive, it sounds great for guitar but removes a good portion of bass from the (you guessed it) bass. The best bet is to try them out on your equip. if possible.

BTW I am not a big effects user. However, I have a couple effects, mainly to mask my lack of skill.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    paniak17, there's a thread at the top of the forum which has user reviews of a bunch of distortion / overdrive pedals.
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I use both the BOSS chorus and overdrive and wouldn't change them, unless someone else paid. In my opinion they are the best you can get for the money.

And, the list of PRO's that use them who could choose more expensive gear is endless. That's the best endorsement.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the boss odb-3 is a monster tone sucker.

but that's why people invent bypass boxes.

i've heard almost exclusively good thinigs about the bass chorus. but, then again, i haven't been to too many music sites in a year! ;)

you also might want to look into the "new" line of digitech pedals. they are comparably priced to the boss pedal line. i might try'em out with my bass once i carve some time into my schedule. i'll go post a knee-jerk review afterwards, i suppose.
  7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    99 percent of people hate on the ODB-3, but I love mine. It has that edgy grit I need on some songs. I don't use it for any heavy thing though due to the buzzsaw harshness of it.

Try one out. You'll love it or hate it. I love mine@
  8. I use BOSS pedals exclusively, and have since 1988. my current setup is a pedalboard with the BOSS Bass Chorus, Boss Flanger, Boss Compressor/Sustainer, and I'm thinking of adding a couple new ones just for Ampeg SVT5 Pro had an OD channel which I never use...I prefer the cleaner bass sounds...(In fact Id love to trade it for an SVT4 Pro).
    I'm also currently running a Morley Bass Wah, but I dont like it because it's spring loaded and always returns to zero when you take your foot off...Id rather have the Dunlop which you can use as a tone sweep as well. But yes, BOSS is #1 in my book...and I prefer stompbox pedals to "multiprocessors" and rackmount digital stuff anyday. To my ear the stompboxes are more transparent and sound less "sterile".
  9. Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK

I have the ODB-3 I love it, it's the best overdrive pedal around IMO.

Spanky, what order do you run your pedals on your pedal board?

at the mo i run mine like this...

Input (Bass) > TU-2 (tuner) > GEB-7(equalizer) > ODB-3 (overdrive) > BF-1 (Flanger) > CEB-3 (chorus) > CS-3 (Sustainer/Compression) > Output (Amp)

Do you have any ideas on the best order to have them in?