Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Car Nut Trivia Fun...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Jan 8, 2005.

1. The post looking for car nuts got me to thinking it would be fun to run up some simple trivia about the American passion for steel and speed. No prizes just braggin' rights. I'm not going to go for the jugular and get real obscure, these will be certainly within the realm of most folks - even those with moderate interest in cars:

1. Who was Zora Arkus Duntov?
    2. What does SAE mean?
    3. Tires weren't always black. What other color were they?
    4. Who was the first manufacturer to use front seat belts?
    5. In black & white movies showing Model T's on dirt roads, there are 3 tracks - one for each tire and a 3rd between them. What was the third track for?
    6. Who is responsible for developing the Interstate Highway System?
    7. What are moonies?
    8. What is Jeep slang for?
    9. As long as you know the number of the Federal highway you are driving on, you will have a general idea of which direction you are traveling. Why?
    10. Why do old gas pumps have large glass resevoirs at their top?
    11. What does PCV stand for?
    12. Who was Harley Earl?

Now, here are some tougher ones...

1. Name one thing Tommy Ivo is famous for.
    2. Who invented the extended tip spark plug.
    3. Why would a used car salesman put sawdust in a rear axle?
    4. Who was Malcolm Campbell
    5. The term "talking a blue streak" comes from racing. What does it mean?
    6. What is octane?
    7. What do these terms mean: "shaved", "frenched", "tucked & rolled", "decked", and "blown"?
    8. What was unusual about the lug nuts on the left side of some 60's and 70's Mopar passenger cars?
    9. What color is Marvel Mystery Oil?
    10. True or False - One of the earliest versions of "in car" music was an underdash record player.
    11. Who was the force behind the initial designs for the VW bug?
    12. Name any winner of the Daytona 500 prior to 1960.

I'll post the answers down further but I expect you folks to cover these.

;)

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I only know a couple, here they is:

3. Tires weren't always black. What other color were they?

White

6. Who is responsible for developing the Interstate Highway System?

Then President and former General Ike Eisenhower. Got the idea from the German autobahns after WWII

7. What are moonies?

Small chrome hubcaps

8. What is Jeep slang for?

General purpose (GP = gee-p)

9. As long as you know the number of the Federal highway you are driving on, you will have a general idea of which direction you are traveling. Why?

Numbers that end in a "0" are east-west, numbers that end in "5" are north-south

12. Who was Harley Earl?

General Motors designer, designed some of the most influential cars of the 30's-50's.

8. What was unusual about the lug nuts on the left side of some 60's and 70's Mopar passenger cars?

Reversed threads. (I think???)

11. Who was the force behind the initial designs for the VW bug?

Adolf Hitler

3. Gard, where've you been friend?

You are correct on all counts. I might add that the highway numbering extends to odds and evens - odds are north/south, evens are east/west

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Workin' too much, not playin' enough. You? Hope all is well in beer-butt chicken heaven! :)

I started to say the "odds/evens" thing, but couldn't think of any examples....oh well....close enough for gub'mint woik. ;)

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    1. Name one thing Tommy Ivo is famous for.
    Founding member of the Cragar 5 second club

11. What does PCV stand for?
    Positive crankcase ventilation

1. Who was Zora Arkus Duntov?
    Chevrolet engineer

3. Why would a used car salesman put sawdust in a rear axle?
    Quiet it down if it was noisey

9. What color is Marvel Mystery Oil?
    Red

2. What does SAE mean?
    Society of Automotive Engineers

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Interesting, but they must have screwed up here in NY. Interstate 390 and 590 both run north/south.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    shaved = Door handles / trim removed / hidden

frenched = sunk into the body (head lights, tail lights, antenna, etc)

Decked = hood / trunk / boot latches and hinges removed / hidden

blown = supercharged

tucked & rolled = style of interier...

I'm not a car guy (anymore).... but I do LOVE lead sleds and if I had enough income to warrent the cost, I'd have a nice 51 Merc with all that but the blown.... hi-rised dual quads on a big block is more my speed :smug:

8. Yeah, we've got an aberration here in Atlanta - I-285 is circular - 63 miles around the city. It goes EVERY direction!

Gard - How about US 19? Home of the "eventual left hand turn"
    :D

9. OK, good going. You've uncovered a flaw in my question. I was thinking of another definition of "decked". Yours is good and it's got more continuity with the other words. I was just repeating the "ed" suffixes.

So what would the other meaning of "decked" in car terms be? Mike knows this.

10. As for the old gas tanks having large glass tops, Gas stations use to dye their gases for reasons I forget. IE Sunoco was blue, Texaco was red...

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Ohhhh... I took it with the rest (except blown)...

As in Ported, Polished, Balanced, Decked and Honed?

that is trueing the head to block surface right?

12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

3 digit interstates are "detours", odd numbered prefixes go through cities, and even numbers go around them.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

13. The odd interstate numbers with three digits, either connect, or circle other main (two digit) routes, and will reflect their numbers regardless of their actual direction.

Gard you know way too much about this stuff for a guy your age.

Hammy, you didn't know there were so many "car nuts" huh?

John

14. How does that square with our I-285 around Atlanta? or is it a double anomally?

Freaky, you're right about the gas colors but that's not why the large glass tops. Before these type of pumps, the pumps were more simple and just had a pump head and hose. Sometimes the hose filled a bucket or can to be put in the car and sometimes it was just put directly into the tank. The problem was that consumers were suspicious of station owners and whether they were giving them the amount of gas the customer was paying for. So, the pump makers came up with the glass top. The resevoir has graduations marked on it for volume. The customer would ask for so many gallons and the attendant would pump the gas up into to glass holding tank until it reached the right level of gallons. Then the tank was drained into the cars tank assuring the customer that he was getting what he was paying for. Later, the metered pumps came into use and the glass versions died out. You wouldn't believe what one of these, in working condition, go for on the collector market now.

15. My first guess was out of disblief for the customer... Guess I was right..

16. John, I think everyone is a car nut in some way or another. You've just got to hit the right button and it all comes out. It might be traffic for one, upholstery and paint for another, or air/fuel mixtures for someone else. It's in our blood.

An example. I don't get excited about new cars - period. Don't own one, have never owned one, will never own one and don't want to own one. But then Dodge introduced that damned Magnum and Ford reissued the Mustang and both of those have turned my eye like no car has since the 1968 Camaro. If I were in a better financial position, I could be seriously tempted by either of these little vixens to commit some serious automotive carnality. Yep, a big bag of fried Cheetos, some Diet Coke, a coupla Dregs CD's, a tank of 104 octane Sunoco racing fuel and you wouldn't see me for a week!

17. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Then they really screwed up here. 390 and 590 go around Rochester, while 490 cuts through the middle.

18. Pretty close. That's where the surface of the block is machined down to equal level of the pistons at TDC. This would be called a "zero decked block" as in zero clearance. Better do the clearance measurement homework first or you'll be bouncin' valves around in there.

It makes a funny sound. :eek:

19. Every drag racing fan has probably seen this before but it's some cool trivia for people that may now know much about it.

One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at
    Daytona

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per
    second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times
    the energy volume.

The supercharger takes more power to drive then a stock hemi makes.

Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on
    overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before
    ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc
    welder in each cylinder.

At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front
    of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks
    at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by
    the searing exhaust gases.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ½ way, the
    engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400
    degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in
    those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off
    the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of
    the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to
    re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of
    over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is
    closer to 8G's.

If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once
    NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.

20. Most of the questions have been answered so here are the rest of the answers and credit for the others:

1. Who was Zora Arkus Duntov? Mike N.
    2. What does SAE mean? Mike N.
    3. Tires weren't always black. What other color were they? Gard
    4. Who was the first manufacturer to use front seat belts? Tucker
    5. In black & white movies showing Model T's on dirt roads, there are 3 tracks - one for each tire and a 3rd between them. What was the third track for? Horses - that track was there first
    6. Who is responsible for developing the Interstate Highway System? Gard
    7. What are moonies? Gard
    8. What is Jeep slang for? Gard
    9. As long as you know the number of the Federal highway you are driving on, you will have a general idea of which direction you are traveling. Why? Gard
    10. Why do old gas pumps have large glass resevoirs at their top? So the customer could see how much gas he was buying
    11. What does PCV stand for? Mike N
    12. Who was Harley Earl? Gard

1. Name one thing Tommy Ivo is famous for. - Mike N.
    2. Who invented the extended tip spark plug. Smokey Yunick
    3. Why would a used car salesman put sawdust in a rear axle? Mike N
    4. Who was Malcolm Campbell - Sir Malcolm Campbell was a British World Land Speed Record holder in the "Bluebird" cars. First man over 300 mph - done on the beach at Daytona
    5. The term "talking a blue streak" comes from racing. What does it mean? Dirt track racing was the most popular form of racing in the first half of the century. The best dirt tracks were those that had a high content of clay in their surface. Clay made for a stickier racing surface Cars would lay down rubber where they ran, creating what was called the "groove" or the fastest path around the track. On tracks with high clay content, the rubber and clay reacted chemically and turned blue. Sometimes you can see this if you have dried red clay on your tire. Take it off and there's blue on the dirt clod. After enough laps were run to create the groove, you could easily see the "blue streak" or the fastest part of the track. It morphed into a description of how fast someone can speak - fast enough to lay down a blue streak.
    6. What is octane? "Octane" is a term associated with a number describing the relative resistance that a fuel has to precombustion or "pinging". That is the Octane rating of the fuel. The higher the number, the less chance that the fuel will ignite prematurely in the combustion chamber during the power stroke.
    7. What do these terms mean: "shaved", "frenched", "tucked & rolled", "decked", and "blown"? James Hart
    8. What was unusual about the lug nuts on the left side of some 60's and 70's Mopar passenger cars? Gard
    9. What color is Marvel Mystery Oil? Mike N
    10. True or False - One of the earliest versions of "in car" music was an underdash record player. True (strange as it seems) IIRC in the early 50's, Oldsmobile offered a small platter turtable mounted under the dash on a shockmount. It didn't last long.
    11. Who was the force behind the initial designs for the VW bug? Gard
    12. Name any winner of the Daytona 500 prior to 1960. Trick question. There's only one since 1959 was the first running the race. The first winner was Lee Petty - Richards pappy.