1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some clips we made a while ago

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ACalbass, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Let me know what you think of this covers we made with old and good friends.
    I will really appreciate that.

We recorded some rehearsals,mistakes and all,trying to keep the performances fresh.
    This covers were meant to be fun,not really looking for a note for note performance,but following the song and players styles.

We are not playing together anymore,and I find it hard to find a new band that wants to go in that direction.
    If you are in the NY area,drop me a note.

Hope you like them.
    Criticism is very much welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/acalbass/

(oooops,I didn;t know soundcloud can change the equalization that much,doesn't make justice to the original,I hope it doesn;t happen to everybody)

2. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    I was expecting some feedback by now.
    Maybe is because it suck so much?
    Don't be afraid to kill me with criticism.
    I won't bump it after this ,guys.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Your links are bad! That's why no feedback.

Tracks can be found here: http://soundcloud.com/acalbass/

Run For Cover sounds ok. Way too fast! The groove is lost playing too fast. I take it your drummer is not experienced in playing fusion or jazz! That open Hi-Hat would drive me nuts! He also switches up his groove way too much for a bassist like me to lock in with. we'd have to have a talk! LOL!

Last Nite is a little better but I'm not feeling you and the drummer are locked in! Sounds to me you're doing your thing and he's doing his. No cohesiveness.

Your bass playing is fine. You got skills! The above is just MY opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

4. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Thank you
    I fixed the link

Also thanks for your feedback.
    I mentioned there weren't perfect recordings or performances,is just to show a bit of what I was doing at that time.
    You nailed it about many things that happened there.

Also checked your links in signature,good work,I like them.
    Gave me some ideas that will require to unearth my old xp80 and record things over it.

5. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Hi there,

My first impression is timing issues and groove.

I like the intro of MM with nice phrasing on your own but when the groove starts, it speeds up way too much. Also I would go with a more straight sound and not so active sounding. I know the quality of the link is not good but I sense that.

The Carlton's song that I used to play and I love it, is too fast for my taste and I couldn't listen more of it.

Hope this will turn out positive on your side,

Keep up the good work, these are great tunes, they sound easy but they are not.

GM