Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some common string misconceptions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
  2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think that you may have to look into a more similar bass to what the guy from muse uses. Strings are not going to get that close on that bass.

3. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    ok, then can someone explain to me which types of strings produce the deepest and bassiest sounds possible?

And the different kinds of strings...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Flatwounds and tapewounds do that. Tapewounds are the deepest, but flats are plenty deep if you don't like the feel of nylon. There's several kinds...just about everyone makes a set of flats. Just stay away from TI Jazz Flats as they're not very deep sounding. They sound more like a halfround string, which is not what you want.

5. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/103104/

would this work?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I doubt it. They sound like roundwounds to me.

7. apekt

apekt

Apr 26, 2005
    Try these Rotosounds. I had them on my bass before, and they've got a pretty deep tone. Of course, I got them about $10 cheaper at the neighborhood music store. And that's my $0.02.

8. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  10. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    okay, and though they say fender, they work with any 4-string bass, right? ;)

So what I know:

roundwounds = brighter sound
    flatwound = deep sound
    tapewound = deeper sound

any other common string types?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They'll work on any bass with a 34" scale, at least, which I am almost positive your bass has, as that's the standard length. I'd get them...at that price, you can't go wrong.

And yes, those are the 3 basic string types and how they sound. There will be different variations here and there, but that's the general description.