some compressor suggestions , please ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KIRKSFANGS, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Greetings all !!-- Always get great feedback on Talkbass so I'm throwing out another request for your expertise. I need to add a compressor to my rig. I am running a seperate power amp (Crown) and preamp ( Alembic ). Can I get some feedback as to what compressor will best handle bass applications ?? Thnks ... Kirk
  2. I used to use a Behringer AutoCom, but I found the controls a little too touchy and tough to dial in what sounded right to me. Right now, I am extremely happy with my FMR RNC 1773 "Real Nice Compressor". In real nice mode it is so smooth and natural.

Check out the FMR site here
  3. dbx 166xl or if you like stereo then dbx 266xl, it has a compressor and a noise gate, i love that compressor, works great for everything.

4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I second DBX. Best compression on the planet. Look around for the 163X too. THey are older, half rack units but can be found for as little as $25. Awesome.
  5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Although the dbx 160 and similar models are absolutely great, the lower end ones (perhaps 166/266) are not so great compared to others in the price range. They're by no means bad, but in the same range the FMR RNC is far better... If you have the cash, get a nice 160a or something, but expect $300 to $400 or so.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I full heartedly recommend the FMR RNC. I've had mine for about a year now and for the price it is unbeatable.
  7. One more vote for the FMR RNC.
  8. baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    You could always spring for an LA2A or an LA4. If you've got a bunch of money though, a Fairchild would be your best bet :D

Seriously, though, DBX makes some good compressors and FMR has a fairly good Rep. I'd go with one of those companies.
  9. You need seperate compression ratios for the highs and lows.

10. Great advice --- thanks a bunch ! I should have said in my original post that I'm looking to go $200 max on a compressor -- the DBX 266 and RNC are both in that range , so at least I have a direction!
    Anyone else care to weigh in ???
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Behringer Composer Pro XL,Very Nice.......