Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some concern about TI Jazz flat gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Tomorrow I'm thinking about ordering a set of TI Jazz Flats for my Fender P. The string gauges concern me though. I'm used to my strings being .45 .65 .85 .105. The TI Flats are .43 .56 .70 .100. The A string is only slightly larger than my current D string :eyebrow: . There's also that big gap between the E and A. Does the set sound balanced? Will the TI jazz flat A have comparable low end to my current roundwound .85 A?

Is it fair to assume that TI jazz flats have roughly the same tension as roundwounds :confused: ?

2. Squidfinger, TI JF's are famous for their Low Tension. Once you restring your bass you will feel the difference. I personally feel the tension difference even between TI JF's and TI PowerBass series, same brand string but, one is a flatwound and one is roundwound, still the tension is different.

You will most likely need to raise your action to adjust for the lighter tension/gauge change. In fact I would suggest doing it immediately, to avoid fret buzz! You may need to watch for changes in your neck relief also, lighter guage strings can affect relief.

Thomastik-Infeld strings communicate a full, well-rounded bass with, nice throaty mids and solid but not to brittle highs and are balanced across the frequency spectrum.

You should have no worries regarding tone across the fretboard!

Post back once you make the change and play on them for a while. You'll find they feel and sound different then any other flats you have ever played on before. Your fingers kinda roll off of them........you'll see what I mean when you first play them. They get better sounding with time too!

[​IMG]
    TReena

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Thanks Treena. I'll be ordering them today from the Dudepit.

4. Squidfinger, post back once you restring your bass and play on them for a while. I would like to hear your personal review on TI's!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Okey Dokey!

The only flats I've used before were Labella DTB flats so that's all I can compare them to.