1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some constructive critisism?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by eclipsedesign, Feb 21, 2008.

1. eclipsedesign

eclipsedesign

Jan 23, 2008
    Hi,

I'm new here (lurking for a while though) but was wondering if you could give your opinions of a song my band just recorded?

www.myspace.com/zephaniarock

The song is called By The Time

Eclipse

2. eclipsedesign

eclipsedesign

Jan 23, 2008
    Anyone? :p

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I liked both songs, nice funk- blues- rock. Nice playing.

The recording quality seems a bit muffled sounding.

Nice bass in "By The Time"

The vocals are OK, but seem a little monotonish. Also singing seems a bit reserved, not singing from his diaphram. He seems to be pretty much in key for the most part. He does have a unique voice which fits the style, but I really thing he needs to step it up a bit.

4. RAW FUNK! I like iT! :D Vocals can be "funked" up some more, as the last poster comments on. I like the monotone-ish thing, but I'd hire up some nice female background to weave a harmony around it.

Nice bassist there. You know him!? ;) Good work!

Now, Infected Funk is even less funky. More striaght up rock. Bass/drum line arent synchronous, not much texture to it. I dig the tune ( two time glitches I caught - ) but he has to be careful about "leaving the monotone on" as in one bar, hte music moves away from him. Nice rock tune, but I dont smell any funk in it frankly. You shoul;d finish it with a bass/drum syncopated heavy raw funk for 16 bars. imho.

5. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Listening to the samples I am struck by one thing. You guys all play on the same beats. The idea of funk is to create little windows and and pockets for each other. There is definitely some juice to the playing, you guys just need to listen to each other more objectively, and try not to land on the same spots all the time.

6. Yes, bigfat nailed what I was trying to say. Bass/drum are syncopated, I pluck you kick, you snare, I pop, etc the drums and bass weave the time together in a counterpoint, and maybe land togehter once or twice a bar is all.

Yo BigFat, I went to school up your way, " on the hill". Born in rottenchester and living in Buffalo. Maybe catch you around some day.

7. eclipsedesign

eclipsedesign

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

Infected funk was an older track we recorded quite a while ago.
    We've got some more tracks to put up soon after I've mixed them.. more psychedelic than others :D

We aren't aiming to be a pure funk band, trying to blend a mix of funk/rock/psychedelic which will probably show in other recordings.

8. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    SIMPLY AWESOME NICE JOB

9. DRIVE ON young funkateer DRIVE ON!!!!!

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Keep at it mang, I look forward to checking out the new stuff.