Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some cool Cliff Burton action

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    Just thought I'd share this http://www.youtube.com/?v=uwYt0XUBvc4 Cool solo before For Whom The Bell Tolls. I like his style its definately a nice change from the same ole slap and finger tappin solos from everyone else (not that i dont enjoy those as well though)

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is the clip from Cliff 'em All that first got me inspired to eventually take up bass years and years ago. I didn't actually start playing until years after I saw this video but I knew right away there was something about the bass that I loved and eventually I'd play.

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I love Cliff... but that tone is godawful!

he was definitely a monster though :bassist:

4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
  5. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I have never been impressed by cliff at all, this video just helped that lol.

6. well, he sure is (was) doing something different!
    i'm not sure if i like it or not, but it sure is interesting!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...back when Metallica were still a band.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Respectfully, I must say that I've never been impressed with Cliff Burton for the sole reason that from all the bass virtuosos I know, he's the only one that sounds to my ears like a frustrated guitarist (I mean, when doing solo stuff. He could also lay down a terrific groove). Not even Billy Sheehan dueling with Paul Gilbert sounds like that to me. Again, just my respectful opinion.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You and I share the same opinion compadre :)

The link is dead btw

10. Cliff is great and cool and all but I think he is highly overrated by a lot of Metallica fans. It seems to me that a lot of people elavate him to a higher status just because he died in a bus crash. Sure, it's a tragedy but it doesn't change his playing.

And what do you mean "...back when Metallica were still a band."? :eyebrow:

11. I love Cliff. For one thing, he was unconventional. On top of being a great bass player and an even greater musician, he had a style and sound that nobody else in the genre was making. Although Jaco (and some others) had already brought the bass out of the background, it wasn't really catching on in the metal/hard rock scene (and still isn't today). It's great to see Cliff doing his thing like that, defying the laws of tradition. He was (in my opinion) kinda like the Jaco of metal. He showed the fans that he wasn't just another heavy metal bassist headbanging in the background, just keeping time. When he came out for his solo spot, he cranked the overdrive and tore it up. The tone might not be pleasing to everyone, but it's just one of those things that cannot be ignored. He loved to play the bass, he played well, he wrote great music, and he did it all with an attitude and style that nobody else can touch.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  13. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    ...so that's what this hoopla's all about?
    heck - seems even I could be a rock'n'roll legend

and that '74 clip - phew! :scowl:

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Cliff is a guy where you either like him or you don't. It took me years to realize his genious as a bass player and a musician.

I wasn't too impressed with that '74 clip although it was 1974 and he was just coming into his own so I'm not complaining too much. I do see a start of his style though, and it's cool how at the end you can hear them playing a bit of what would become For Whom the Bell Tolls.

15. ***? That clip says it was in 1984. Cliff was already in Metallica at that point, what's he doing in a Battle of the Bands when they're already making/releasing Ride The Lightning??

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The page says that it's probably a mistake. It says 1974 on the page which is probably accurate.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hadn't seen that 74 clip, thanks. I really enjoyed that.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member