Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some cool vintage basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Well I am in the market for a bass. I have no specific price limit (under a grand perfered) but I would like to get used and get something that looks cool. I am more concerned about looks and playability than how it sounds. Don't tell me this is bad because I know its kinda silly but because of the situation i'm in the sound comes last. so what are some cool vintage basses? Pictures welcome.

EDIT- look at post #9 and #37

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    By all means, get a "62 Jazz that needs a pup rewind. Should only cost you $10,000.
    Why would the sound not matter to a musician?

3. The sound matters but it is a lower priority than the looks.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He's only 14 give him a break.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    I'm trying.......Either we have a budding collector, photographer or I'm not sure what here, but not a musician. :bag:
    Guess I was 14 at one point (over 30 years ago!), and the older guys would tease me too.::bawl: :bawl:

Why not buy a MIM P or J and relic it? It would sound good too.:cool: :cool:

6. Jeeze people I am a musician! The reason I don't care about the sound that much is because this is just for me. I am happy with the bass I have now and how it sounds. Down the road I may want to upgrade the p'ups or buy a warwick or somthing. I'm not in a band and just love to play. This thread was supposed to be based on the vintage basses that justed looked cool. Now can someone please answer the question without ridiculing me?

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    First, could you elaborate a little on why the looks are more important than the sound? If looks are so important, it might help us to know what sort of look you're going for - not much point recommending a vintage T'Bird if you're going to be playing in a disco cover band! (I'm sure you get my drift).

Second, are there any players out there that you think have basses you consider to be right for your situation? With that sort of information, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, a grand doesn't go a real long way in the vintage market these days. Obviously, it depends on what you're looking for, but if you're talking about the "classics" (50s or 60s Fenders, Rics and T'Birds), then you'll have to reconsider your options.

8. ok it seems no one understands my question. I just want to know about some vintage basses that YOU think look cool. Forget about me what do YOU think?

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Sorry man, just trying to get my head around the thing. :confused:
    Bassaussie is right about $1000 not going too far in the vintage market.
    Moserite, Danelectro might be options for you and I'm sure there are a lot out there. Just kinda drawing a blank. My first bass was a red Kalamazoo made by Gibson. It was made out of particle board and had a big humbucker at the neck. With black tapewounds it sounded fat. I miss her. I also miss the hollow body Rick that I should have paid $300 for that now is worth ten times that, but you can't marry them all.

Good luck to you. The Ribbing is over.....

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

I think you should chill out a bit!! ;)

About the basses, look at 70s era Japanese copies - Ibanez, Yamaha, Aria. These are nice basses, have the vibe you want, and won't cost a fortune. The Fender copies, in particular, are very highly regarded.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Gibson EB-0... though not really unusual looking (because it's based on the SG body shape) it's a sexy classic. Plus it sounds sh-, uh, er, muddy with the stock pup. I changed mine out with a DiMarzio Model One wired in parallel and now it sounds sexy, too. Mosrites and Hagstroms look cool, too, but I have never heard one... you can pick up an EB-0 for right around a grand especially it it's had a headstock break that's been repaired, making it a player not a collectible.

12. to clarify i'm looking for individual basses not brands/eras...

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Any beat up J or P with a good neck, good or replaced p/u's, whatever has to be changed to make it playable would fool (as far as image is concerned) 99.9999999% of your audience. There are tons of beat up J's and P's on the SSS. They are easily bargained down. That's where I would start if image was #1 importance to me.
    GL

14. This thread is hilarious...

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    You want a "vintage bass",build one out of a Squier .
    Find one that plays well --------------$150
    Buy your pick ups---------------------$50
    Buy your pickup and bridge covers-----$30
    Buy the thegold anidised pick guard----$30
    Paint the bass off white---------------$10
    Buy you Fender decal from e-bay------$10
    Instant Vintage for under $250.
    As long as you don't try to sell it as one,(people will figure it out) you can have a blast with it.( and not have to worry about damaging a vintage bass)

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    In my day, that added up to about $280... You kids and your 'New Math' :)

-robert

18. Oh my God... this thread is gold.