Some day.....some day......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Usul, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Hello all....

Just thought I would see how "the other half" lives! lol

I am a fledgling bass player(electric)....since I have been learning the e.b. it has made me respect and listen to "The Bass"(upright,acoustic,double?).Just wondering if I can ever realize my dream....namely learning to play "The Bass".I am self taught :( so far,due to lack of funds/time )but hope to get a teacher this year (god willing).....

What is the progression from e.b. to "the bass"? I think I need to learn a few years on that then go to fretless,then....who knows?

I am in awe of an instrument that is as tall as a man and you have to stand up to play/master.....

God Speed....
    Sir Usul of the Electric Bass
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As far as the "progression" from one to the other, everyone down here is pretty much in agreement that you have to get a teacher. There are a lot of threads asking the same kinds of questions in the archives, you might want to check there for some stories from the trenches. What it all boils down to is, once you fall in love with the beast - and I mean real "till death/tendonitis do us part" love, not the puppydog kind - you can accomplish things you never thought were possible when you were playing find that, for the sake of THAT SOUND, you'll do just about anything. Playing fretless isn't going to hurt, but it isn't going to build a bridge to the doublebass either.
  3. There is no "progression" from bass guitar, to fretless bass guitar, to doublebass. Aside from having four strings (usually) tuned the same way, bass guitar and the realbass have very little in common. Not much of what you do with bass guitar (fretted or fretless) will help when you decide to start learning the realbass. If you think you want to learn the doublebass, start now. No argument can be made for learning the bass guitar first. And, learning bass guitar after learning the doublebass is easy.
  4. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I moved from guitar (10 yrs) to fretted electric bass (10 yrs) to fretless electric (6 yrs) to Double Bass (1 yr). I will definitely concur that playing fretless eb, while developing my ear for intonation, did not have any direct benefit on playing the DB. There is truly very little technique in common and you really must start the DB with a teacher. If you want to make that DB sound don't wait on the electric - start saving your money - go for the real thing.
  5. gcouncil

Mar 26, 2001
    I've got to say that it all depends on the way you approach learning a stringed instrument.

I began when I was 15 on a Fender fretless 4 string and then went to the University of North Texas' jazz program with emphasis on bass performance.

I personally found that my experience and lessons on fretless four string tuned my ear and prepared me for proper intonation on DB. My finger strength and dexterity was prepared as well.

I personally found it easier to locate positions when playing DB than EB due to the physical proximity to your body while there are no body relationships when playing EB.

I don't believe that starting on DB makes playing EB an easy task anymore than starting on EB makes playing DB easy. What I believe is that while they are two unique instruments, there are similarities that make transitioning from one to the other a not too unfamiliar task, provided that you play the one you start on first very well and understand the instrument inside and out.

The above opinion concerns only pizz playing, because bowing is an entirely different matter.

My recommendation is to start on the one you really want to play and not to get swayed by others opinions as to what a "real bass" is. Calling an EB not a "real bass" is in my opinion the same thing as calling photography not "real art." They both have their strengths and weaknesses for particular kinds of music.

Most of all, whichever you choose, get a good instructor to insure your playing fundementals are firmly grounded.