1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some days noisy, other days silent?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rev. Cornelius, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Some days, like today at 4 pm, my practice setup is noisy. Other days it is silent. Same bass, chords, preamp, interface, everything. Late afternoons seem to be the worst.

Does anyone else seem to have this aggravating issue?

Thanks

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Suspect something else in the environment - noisy fans? Neighbors with over-powered ham rigs? I dunno, just guessing...

3. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    As a ham operator myself I understand there can be more atmospheric noise as the sun sets. BTW, this bass is copper shielded. It may have to do with the amount of traffic as I live on a very busy street.

Maybe something in the matrix......

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Let's do some troubleshooting:
    Where is the hum coming from? Have you tested just the bass into the amp? What about just the amp?
    What kind of electronics are in the bass? Do you have single coil pickups?
    Does anything affect the noise such as touching metal on the bass or the direction?
    What is around you and on the same circuit? Dimmer switches, neon lights and compressors (fridges) are the usual culprits in my experience.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Deja vu? ;)

6. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    So we start with a copper shielded P bass. Next, a Tonehammer DI, then an Omnicabsim Deluxe into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 into my laptop.

If I unplug the bass the noise stops. Touching the bridge or strings does not change anything. It is not that type of noise. If I rotate the bass in a certain way the noise decreases. It is definitely the bass acting as a reciever. What I am trying to figure out is why it happens more in the late afternoon the any other time. 2 days ago I practiced at noon. Same everything. No noise.

Poltergeist? Gremlins?

Thanks

7. Something near you is probably ON during that time & isn't on at other times.
    Happens with my OTA antenna. Something the folks next door turn on messes with my reception for NBC & the CW a little bit.
    It was worse at one time, and I found a better location for the antenna, but it's still not completely unaffected.

Slater likes this.
  8. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Your right. It has to be something on in the neighborhood. Today same bat-time same bat-station total silence. Go figure.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Killed_by_Death likes this.