Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some DC area GTG pics [56k begone]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I didn't get everyone or everything, but these shots give a decent idea of What Went Down

not sure who's holding it, but the MTD is purty
    [​IMG]

Nick Gann samples some goods from the dancehallclasher corner
    [​IMG]

This bass is heavy
    [​IMG]

Dr. PhunkyPants with Fuzzbass's legendary Sadowsky
    [​IMG]

Fuzzbass explains the finer points of the Roscoe Beck
    [​IMG]

Generous host Philbiker gets down on a fretless PJ
    [​IMG]

Philbiker's jazz five is the twin of my P. '97 was a good year!
    [​IMG]

General rockage, overseen by Jim Carrey
    [​IMG]

Phunky and Phil discuss putting a new bridge on Phil's Peavey
    [​IMG]

This is what I call a well-loved bass
    [​IMG]

A fearsome dog
    [​IMG]

I ponder stealing jive1's Lakland because it matches my Rev so beautifully
    [​IMG]

The Sadowsky in repose
    [​IMG]

jive1 plays my Rumblefish
    [​IMG]

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks for posting! I'll get around to posting mine sometime. Maybe tonight.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    why did you cut your hair?

4. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He's got to move with the fashion or be outcast......

(Who reference..)

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's me holding the MTD! :D

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey, isn't that Thor's Stunted Double on the right?

Who let him off his leash?

[​IMG]

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Worse than that, he was playing the one lick you know.

8. Thor

OmygaddaheknowsINNAGADDADAVIDA!

9. I simply can't please you, can I?

10. Thor

I like Ed W with Walken hair better than the
    crew cut ...

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Coooool... thanks for the pics. They all rock, but my favorite is the Sonic Blues, they're a classy pair. They both played and sounded great, too.

I forgot to mention in the other thread that I now have Lakland GAS. They have that growly zingy Stingray vibe, and I like the string spacing on Lakland fivers much better than MusicMan fivers.

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    That's mine! And yes, that was HollowMan, who managed to get sweet tones out of it, despite the neck needing chiropractic adjustments and me not being up to the task.

However, Dr. Pants (Phunky) took the bass home that evening and straigtened the neck, reintonated and strung, made some other well needed adjustments, and it now plays like butter. He does a fabulous job with set ups, and takes it very seriously.

I can not thank him enough, the 12 pack was simply insufficient.

Great time, great pics!

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very cool. I loved the tone of that bass, but playing on Jamerson-style action was a workout! Are those the LaBella Jamerson flats?? Cheers to Brian for straightening it out.

14. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    D'addario Chromes. Which Brian said may have been contributing to the neck issues a bit. The action has not always been like that, and it certainly wasn't my intent to set it that way. It just 'evolved' to the point where 1) I suspected something was wrong and 2) I would need help to correct it.

The GTG really brought out the community nature of TB.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That roscoe beck bass looks awesome! Glad to here you guys had a nice time. :)

16. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I finally got my photos up. I only took 6 pics. :meh: Hope you don't mind all the Talkbass Forum Names only, but this is the talkbass forum after all.

Fuzzbass Watches Edwcdc play Dr. PhunkyPants' goregeous green Sterling. Nick Gann enjoys test driving Fuzzbass' Sadowsky P5.
    [​IMG]

Dancehallclasher assumes classic rock and roll pose complete with the proper hand signal as he samples JessRobinson's wonderful black fretless MIJ Jazz Special. Jess doesn't look convinced.
    [​IMG]

Dr. PhunkyPants and Fuzzbass came all this way just to play their own gear!
    [​IMG]

HollowMan227 shows the real purpose of a pool table while sampling jkritchey's MTD Heir. Jk demonstrates his munching technique beautifully.
    [​IMG]

General rockage. L to R we have Fuzzbass, Jive1, dancehallclasher (kneeling on floor playing), Nick Gann (in back sampling a sweet Tacoma Thunderchief), Edwcdc, and Dr. Phunkyplants.
    [​IMG]

Dr. PhunkyPants does a half Lyndie showing off his fantasticly cool bass octaver pedal. Fuzzbass was impressed with the pedal, maybe not the Jazz bass though....
    [​IMG]

Funny thing I picked up someone's 6 string, I think it was a Peavey Cirrus, and Dr. PhunkyPants joked "so is it difficult adjusting to a 6 string with frets?" And you know what, it was! I didn't know what the heck to do with that bass and I've become so at home with my Brice fretless 6! :) The only six string I've ever owned is my only fretless, so when I put my hands around a wide neck like that I automatically go to my mental "fretless zone". I had a hard time finding the notes with all that metal on the neck!

It was wonderful having you guys over again, we need to make this a regular thing!

And special thanks to Fuzzbass for the deal on the Smith bridge. I've installed it on my Palaedium along with the black tuners I had in a box, and I'm so much happier with that bass now (pics soon to come!)! I have an upcoming project (gigspam: Centreville August 20) and I'm planning on using the Peavey for the whole thing. :) Nick Gann coincedentally got a suspiciously similar deal on a used gold finish Badass II for his SX!

17. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    It's really great of you guys to post photos. If nothing else it's cool to put faces to some of the names I've swapped messages with (Hollow, for some reason I pictured you much older looking!) Nice getting a peek at the gear obviously, but also just seeing everyone having a good time. Sure wish I could have been there. Maybe next year!

Out of curiosity: Did y'all jam at all?

'rick

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The photos are very misguiding.

Dr. Phunky is actually much shorter in person. Fuzz looks much older up close and JK looks ancient. Nick Gann is actually hairier in real life, and so is Philbiker. Ed is actually skinnier in real life, you know how the camera adds pounds. On Ed it worked exponentially. He's actually skinnier than DanceHall. DHC is actually pretty chubby, but he used mirrors to hide his gut. And of course, I'm much better looking in real life.

We didn't have an all out bass jam, but sounds like a cool idea for the next GTG.

19. Thor

That is a nice pic of you JiveJong.

It is now safely tucked away in my Jive1 folder. :smug:
    Along wuth the other one I lightened up.

And Stuntboy will get another visit one of these days ...

20. In all those pics I only see one beer?!?