Some decision making

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 1, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Hey, need some advice. Basically it is this: I hate the bass I have know (ibanez, what crap...) and need a new one. I was thinking about these ideas:

1. Go for a nasty four stringer that can do it all

2. Go for a nasty fiver stringer that can do it all and have a nice tight B when needed

3. Or go with a combination and get something that falls inbetween for both.

Sound wise, anything that can give a mean slap with a great jazz sound and anything else.

This will really go a long way since I really want to take bass seriously and this selection will be crucial for me (unlike you other nuts out there with 10+ basses :p :smug: ).

Side note: If not to much to ask, please post some amp combos that rock with the certain bass choices, since Im lacking there to.

PS. Ibanez basses are great but the one I own is quite bad.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To me slap and jazz means get a Fender Jazz bass. Whether you get a MIM, MIJ, or MIA depends on how much you have to spend. (Made in mexico, japan, america) American are the best.... and most expensive by far. Some consideer MIJs to be better than MIM's even though they cost slightly less (usually).
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I agree. Get a Jazz. Amps depend on how much power you want, as well as tone opinion. I have a 1000W rig. Peavey Power amp, Sansamp RBI Rackmount preamp, getting a 31 band EQ, and an Ampeg SVT410HLF, suits me fine. The Sansamp is a very versetile preamp.
  4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I think Elrick, Modulus, Roscoe and Lakland all make better basses than Fender does and you can get one USED for the price of a Fender

thats just my opinion though
  5. By all means go and buy good amp and if you need to just put more money on the amp.

A good bass through a bad amp will sound so so.
    An ok bass through a good amp will sound good.

A good amp makes a lot of difference try playing your ibanez trough a good ampeg or svt or any other good one i'm sure it'll sound good
  6. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Yea was really thinking of a Fender Jazz but Modulus and others sound so tempting.

I agree, most of money should be spent on a good sound set up.

So far Fender Jazz seems to be the choice.

Any feedback from Modulus four stringers. If I recall there is a TBer who is selling one on ebay a TBX?
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I just picked up a Fender Artist Series Roscoe Beck V (although some Fenders are duds, I got REAL lucky with this one, nice burst nice figured wood, beautiful sound), the best bet would be to try around and buy one, but I recommend this one, with the pickup selections and whatever you can get almost any sound out of this beast, its amazing!