Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some dimensions of an old King

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's some specs on my old King, just for fun...

Scroll is 11.5" tall
    Fingerboard is 34.25" long, measures 1.5" at the nut, 3.5" at the end. Its a pakkawood board made by Bob Branstetter, and shimmed up a little for lower action-ability.
    The neck is about 1.75" deep, and measures about 18.75" from scroll to body.
    Body depth at the neck is about 6.5", and deepens to about 8" for the rest....
    Upper bout is 19" wide, middle bout is 13.5", lower bout is 25.25"
    Body length on the rear is about 44.5" from the top of the neck button to the bottom.
    String length is about 42"

Is this similar to any other instruments?

2. My King's dimensions are also similar. (I've extrapolated some measurements since it has no bridge, strings, nut, soundpost, or tailpiece.
    Scroll: 11.5"
    Fingerboard: appears to be rosewood, therefore it must be a replacement, since the original was ebony: 1.5" wide at nut, 3.5" at end, 33.75" long.
    Neck: About 18.5" long, and 1.875" deep near the heel.
    Body: 44.5" long from the top of the neck button to the bottom.
    Bouts: upper-19" wide, lower- 22" wide. Widest point on lower body is around 25". Is this what you mean by lower bout, chef?
    Depth: 6.5" at neck, 8" for the rest, and 10.5" when you add the front and rear flares.
    String length: approx 42.5-43"- there's no bridge

Question: How can the string length be changed without replacing the neck, or using a false nut, or moving the bridge closer?

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, that's what I meant. I measured upper lower and middle bouts at their widest points. I'm no lutier, so I may be meauring or naming wrong. I was pretty surprised to go to the new standard cleveland was very similarly sized to my King, except for the width of the upper bout...?

4. Do you mean the La Scala's measurements? Bcos in a previous post, I had asked if the King was the model on which the La Scala was based, and Mr. Schnitzer had replied in the negative. But it was surprising when I checked the New Standard website, because the la scala measurements shown there are very close to my king's measurements. I wonder if there was a marked variation among individual King basses as regards size? Again, like you, I'm not a luthier, and maybe I'm measuring the bouts wrongly. Any feedback from luthiers, including Mr. Schnitzer wold be most welcome.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Nope, I meant Cleveland. I know they're shaped differently, but they're sorta similarly sized....

6. Another beautiful thing I noticed today, when looking closely at the grain of the spruce top, is how closely spaced it is towards the center, and spread out as you go towards the edges. Truly amazing. Apparently, that's the way good tops are supposed to be made. :)
    Here are some pics. I hope they work, bcos they're hosted at www.photobucket.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]