Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some effects I bet you haven't seen

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 16, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    First, the inimitable Cool Humster:

[​IMG]

Next, the ever-popular CraneTortoise Switching Distortion for bass:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the Menatone Chawbox:

[​IMG]

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    soundclips please.

3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I wish. Unfortunately, I only have pics and some badly translated descriptions.

4. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Jeepers, I thought you guys would be all over this. Anyway, here's a couple more:

[​IMG]

"A sound like JIMIHEN or Bryan May. It can be used also as an amplifier simulator."

[​IMG]

"It is the overdrive of a true bypass design. This is recommendation if it is an overdrive with the thick heart."

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, kids! Engrish!

What the hell are these?!? The "ChawBox" sent coffee directly up my nose... :p What would such a thing sound like? Why is that a valid metaphor for a pedal? "For the bridge I'll kick in my trusty ChawBox, to give it that authentic 'nasty brown spit' vibe!"

And the value of the Cool Humster is evident.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Here's the description of the Humster: "Price \35,000 (according to tax). It is with CHOIKIZU. HUMSTER of a low gain design. The standup of sound is good and rich inside compass does not spoil picking nuance"

The CraneTortoise Switching Distortion: "Price \22,000 (according to tax). Switching Distortion For Bass. The switching rendition effect is added to the usual base day SUTOSHON sound. By the effect and setup like a tremolo, it can make to a machine gun sound. "

IIRC, there wasn't a description of the Chawbox, unfortunately.

7. Menatone pedals are killer! I use a Menatone Blue Collar for guitar. Brian is also a really cool guy to deal with.

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Those are some really cool looking pedals. I wish i could play through them. I really want to know where i can find some of them.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    great, now I have more GAS :)

10. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I'll give up the secret. These seem to be available from Ishibashi music. Just go to www.ishibashi.co.jp and click on "International." Then click on "Used Item." You will find these and many more strange things such as the "Dust Bowl Foxy Lady," which is also a day SUTOSHON. Then you can decide just how much Yen you want to invest.

You can also find many Resu Poru guitars, Fazu pedals, and other eternal excellent articles.

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What's this one do?

13. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Duh! It says "Bass Dragger" doesn't it?
    ;) :bag:

I love these. I really needed a stompbox to get that day SUTOSHON sound! Now I have several to choose from, all with ridiculously translated names!

Thanxxx, Flatwound!

14. http://www.menatone.com/ The site sucks, but Menatone pedals are awesome. There is a listing of dealers so you may be able to plug in if one is near you.

I've never played through any of the others.

15. the bass dragger doesn't really do anything. but it weighs about 90 pounds. you put it in your case when you want to drag your bass.

*ba da bing*

16. Prices in dollars, pounds, yen? I'm guessing yen! :D

17. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

"A low gain booster like tube amplifier. a training -- BURI amplifier -- a best match "

18. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here:
    "day SUTOSHON" = distortion?

These are just killing me. My favorite manufacturer of any musical equipment anywhere is now CraneTortoise.

19. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ah yes. At least that's what I think. Have you figured out that Resu Poru = Les Paul? And how about a nice FAIZA? or a FAZU box?

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX