Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some family pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Sep 30, 2005.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I finally got some of these online, and I thought I'd share some pics of my setup.

That silver 2 space unit is a custom preamp called preamp ZERO, made by Don Johnson of Olympia, WA. Apparently, it's a modified baxandall type tone circuit (ala ampeg B-15), made with really high fidelity components and put in a 2 rack space chassis. Its just vol/bass/treble, and the tone is amazing; phenomenal tubey richness, really warm yet articulate. It's perfect as a preamp for solo gigs.

The ABG in the picture is made by Daniel McKinstry. He builds Mandolins, and guitars (bodies only) from solid blocks of quartersawn Western Red Cedar. I convinced him to build me a fretless bass a few years ago, and this was made from the biggest block he had in his stash!

Sorry if the pics are huge.......

Enjoy,

Jake

my website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You're a spoiled brat.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    ;)

5. Ill give you my car for all of that...Im not joking...

:D

6. Very cool!:)
    I love F Bass......

7. F-Bass = :eek:
    Acacia = :eek: :eek:

But the two together.... :help:

8. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I love that acoustic.

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    +1

I bet that sounds so awesome! Where'd you get that bad boy? What brand is it?

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I'm not really sure what the "brand" is. The luthiers name is Daniel McKinstry, and his shop is called Mudcat Music. I've never heard any of them referred to as Mudcat instruments, but I guess thats what they are.

It sounds amazing. Cedar is a very resonant wood, and this instrument is very resonant and responsive. Its by far the loudest ABG I've heard, and its very bright. I really have to adjust my playing style to get make it warm, but once I figured out how to play it, I've been able to get really beautiful tones out of it. From the second position up, it sounds alot like a nice cello, with a little more zing.