Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some feedback on GK's Backline 250 / BKL 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Antonio, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Antonio

Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    I just recently purchased a GK Backline 250 amp with a 15 cab and wanted to post some feedback for other people who might be interested in this amp.

First let me start off by saying Wow! I got this setup for only $250 on musicians friend. I've been thinking for a while now My old amp (swr siverado special - 350 watt 2X12) just never gave me the tone I was looking for, ever!!

I cant speak enough praise about this little amp. Yeah it's only 125 watts, but let me tell you, it kills my SWR, no kidding. The tone is great; I love the sound of the boost, although I haven't found much use/need for the distortion channel. The EQ is decent, works well for my passive Jazz bass, however I find I can dial in a much nicer tone using the onboard pre/eq on my Sterling (that's is usually the case with every amp I try with this bass though).

Just to clear up some things I read in some posts that I feel are a little missleading IMHO;

1) I read that someone said that these were not made in the US, however mine does say made in the USA on the Amp. I'm not sure about the cabinet though.

2) Second, a lot of people have said that 125 watts is to weak; let me tell you, I wasn't worried about that because I mainly bought this to test a theory and knew I was only going to use it at home, however, like I said before, this thing blows my SWR (remember it's 350 watts) away. Now I can see that this thing would not be enough for large venues, but I think you could definately do the bar scene with this amp and not have any problems.

3) Alot of people were fussing about it only being able to drive one cab, which is a true set back; however for $250 your getting an amp and a cab. I'm suprised no one mentioned that if you really wanted to add another cab later you could just by a cab + a decent power amp and run them from the BKL 250's direct out. Of course this isn't as ideal as an amp made to drive two cabs, but it does provide an option to upgrade, which many people seemed to think was not possible.

Anyway I just wanted to give a little feedback. Needless to say I'm very happy. This setup confirmed that 12's just don't really give me the tone I like, or at least my old amp doesn't.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of bying this amp. :)

Antonio

P.S. I've got a SWR Silverado Special 350 watt 2 x 12 amp for sale if anyone is interested. Google it to learn more about it. Maybe you might like this kind of sound. :p

2. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Just wondering if your SWR Silverado is still available? I'm definitely interested, but couldn't find it in the classifieds.

3. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Bumparino!