Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some feedback...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, May 5, 2004.

1. I've been foolin around lately and came up with a couple bass riffs and a guitar riff. The first 2 are the bass riffs, third one is the guitar riff. Just some general feedback such as "it sucked" "it was ok" "i liked it" "i didnt like it" "learn to play". Just the usual. Here is the link: www.whmoh.com/stuff/bassbassguitarriffs.mp3

Thanks for listenin,
    Tyler

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    NiNJa :ninja:

3. I figured the second bass riff would have to be done in a jam or something, I can pretty much picture it there. The guitar riff also. And yes, the bass riffs are recorded on my new DeArmond Pilot Pro V

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It sucked.
    It was ok.
    I liked it.
    Learn to play.

The second riff I dug. The others didn't really do anything for me. Suggestions: there's a few timing issues. Metronome good. Try to bring out some tonality to your riffs. Other than the second, "doom" riff, they seemed rather pentatonic, and didn't lend themselves to a major or minor key. Try putting some color tones in there (3rds, 7ths, 9ths, 13ths, etc.).

Keep working on it. Creativity is something that needs to be practiced like everything else.

5. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    I'm not sure how long you have been playing so it's hard to give an detailed opinion. I think the concepts and idea are there but would say that you should try using a metronome when playing. It can mean all the difference in the world when trying to get clean tracks and it's great for working out you chops.

6. Thanks for the metronome idea, just need to get some cash to get one now ;) I actually haven't been playing lately and was bored one night and picked up my bass (I've been really busy lately) and just started fooling around. And to answer the how long I've been playing question, since December 2002. Also I just tend to jam alot so I don't play by myself (ie practice) a whole lot.

7. first one was so-so
    i liked the second one, it reminded me a little of tool, and you are in luck, because i am in the middle of a tool binge right now.

that guitar riff reminds me of johnny river's secret agent man a bit.
    well, i think so at least, i still liked it though.

Charlie

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Randy: I just didn't get it daawg, Paula:I think you should practice a lot with a metronome and you'll be great in no time, keep it up:) Simon: You are to bass playing as Limo is to singing, weak at the lower register and pitchy at the higher register;)

Keep making up riffs dude and let us hear how you progress along the way, I liked the second riff the best, thanks:)

9. No!! I've been American Idolized! What a shame :meh: But Randy rules!