Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Fender advice please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 6, 2003.

1. I have a 2001(?) model American J bass deluxe. I have no plans to sell it but I'm wondering if people mod these at all? The tone is nice but I'm hoping to get a little more "fatness" out of it. Also, the Fender "Noiseless" pickups make a buzzing sound when I'm not touching the strings. I've removed the bridge and elongated the grand wire but it still buzzes. Perhaps some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's would be a good idea? Any ideas?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My strings used to have the same buzzing problem. I think it was my practice amp though because as soon as i got anew (bigger) amp, they stopped buzzing. Now they only buzz when i have my volume on 10 or something, but thats normal amp hum.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have an American Deluxe Jazz V, and I get the hands-off-the-strings buzz when my battery starts to die.

Also, I guess Jazz Deluxe owners have replaced the preamp with the J-Retro Deluxe (hence the "deluxe" in the name) with good results.

You can probably find more info. here:

http://pub206.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm2

4. I think there is no problem modifying this kind of bass. It's not a vintage piece obviously. What you described seems to me as 60-cycle hum, present on many fenders. You can get rid of this with the humbucking pickups or maybe by shielding the control cavity.

Imroving the tone: how about a better amp?

Jure