Some Fender advice please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 6, 2003.

1. I have a 2001(?) model American J bass deluxe. I have no plans to sell it but I'm wondering if people mod these at all? The tone is nice but I'm hoping to get a little more "fatness" out of it. Also, the Fender "Noiseless" pickups make a buzzing sound when I'm not touching the strings. I've removed the bridge and elongated the grand wire but it still buzzes. Perhaps some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's would be a good idea? Any ideas?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My strings used to have the same buzzing problem. I think it was my practice amp though because as soon as i got anew (bigger) amp, they stopped buzzing. Now they only buzz when i have my volume on 10 or something, but thats normal amp hum.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have an American Deluxe Jazz V, and I get the hands-off-the-strings buzz when my battery starts to die.

Also, I guess Jazz Deluxe owners have replaced the preamp with the J-Retro Deluxe (hence the "deluxe" in the name) with good results.

You can probably find more info. here:
  4. I think there is no problem modifying this kind of bass. It's not a vintage piece obviously. What you described seems to me as 60-cycle hum, present on many fenders. You can get rid of this with the humbucking pickups or maybe by shielding the control cavity.

Imroving the tone: how about a better amp?