Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Fender Jazz Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey hey all, I'm glad to be on board a *cough*REAL*cough* bass community forum site. I've been playing for a year and half now and you should see me in the limelight in a couple more. Enough of my cockiness.... I took Ashley apart and noticed that the dates don't correspond. A couple of questions I'd really appreciate any help with; What is that nickel sized hole there for?
    [​IMG]
    My neck says 4/20/01...
    [​IMG]
    Yet the body reads March 24th 1999 in black stamp, upside down it reads 05 1999 then 28 2000 in red stamp.
    [​IMG]
    Why is this? Was my body made then put to the side in 99? There's a small knot in the grain where the top horn is, and I was thinking maybe they were unsure of tossing it? Also I was wondering what the 4 extra screw holes are for in the neck pocket... assembly line? Thanks for the help, these questions have been plaguing me. :confused:

2. I'm assuming it was put to the side a few times. The knot could be the reason, but either way it likely was made in March 99. It just didn't end up on a bass till the slightly later date, and eventually shipped with your bass in 2000. No clue about the hole though.

3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    the dates dont always match because body parts sometimes sit for a bit,so the years dont always match,(this i know).
    the holes in the dody are used for holding the wood while painting/drying/sealing,only the mex have this as far as i know and maybe an import(indo,chins,korea)but the USA model does'nt.(i think,but not 100%).
    adam

4. What's odd is that his bass is apparently American, which would obviously explain the natural finish (MIM only has a limited edition ash/natural bass which was released this year). My 97 American deluxe doesn't have the big holes, but I never had to remove the neck so I can't confirm the neck pocket holes.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :eek: WHAT YEAR!!??? :eek:
    I'm freaking out now, Could it actually be a MIM body? The body is also 3 parts combined into one, the two horn sections pressed together with a main mid section, that always puzzled me also, is that normal?
    [​IMG] :(

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Actually I'm sure that it's not a MIM, suprising though that Fender released a MIM in natural ash :eyebrow:
    I almost can't believe that. Well do you guys know of any other clear finish jazz bodies that are 3 chunks together as one? Any brand.....

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i also have that useless hole under the pickguard. dont know why its there.

8. I know that most 70's Fender Precision basses had 3 piece Ash bodies. Those three pieces didn't always match up that well either, which doesn't seem right on a natural finished bass. They also weighed a ton.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks for the info all. I got this from ebay a while ago, and when I got it of course the knot was news to me. At one point I was thinking of selling it a getting a Sterling, Darryl Jones or L-2000, but I can never sell her, been through too much together, and she's scheduled for a OBP-1. I even wrote on a small piece of paper hidden under my matress that if I go anytime soon that she has to be buried with me! Besides, it's better to just bust your ass working and accumulate axes, right? I eventually want to have a house with a room full of hanging all-star basses.

10. Theres a natural finised/maple FB USA Jazz hanging up in a local shop, it has to have been up there for at least 2-3 years now..

I asked them if they would discount it since its old stock, and the first time they said, oh no we sold that and we got another one just like that, second time they said no coz fenders are hard to come by in natural. :eyebrow:

anywhoo.. sharp frets, BAD nut job, and it looks to be at least 5+ pieces of ash, i mean theyre not even the same colour!!!!

ash + maple does sound friggin good together tho!

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    the hole is so you can do this
    [​IMG]

12. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My newest bass has a neck assembled in 97 and a body built in 2002.

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Can you give your opinion then? I still might be stupid enough to sell it and pick up a Joe Osborne. The nut's perfectly fine, frets feel great.
    here's the knot close up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was planning to put about $200 into it for the obp-1 installation... but if I were to sell it for 650-700?+200= real close to this, which I would honestly rather have
    [​IMG] With the obp1 of course....
    So tell me whaddya think? Huh? Huh? Whaddya think?

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You just answered your question.

15. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Actually I think I'd rather get a black L-2000 with the jazz size birdseye neck...my question to you is this, do you think that knot is worth the exchange? Wait, I think it is!!! I just answered my own question again. I never liked fret markers anyway. Am I actually going to slang my baby? Amazing how a piece of wood can make you feel so guilty. :(