1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

some final opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K-Funk, Mar 9, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Although I've already gotten significant and well-appreciated advice from Sunbeast, I'd just like to get some extra opinions from the rest of y'all.

Essentially, I can trade my Mesa 400+ and Ampeg 6x10 for a new, unused 2004 USA Ampeg SVT-CL with it's matching 8x10. Fear not; I do have adequate hauling power, and I'm a tough dude.

Good or no? I'm going on my 1st tour this summer, out west from Michigan toward California and back. Progressive metal, and not the etude-like Dream Theater stuff. More brutal, like Mastodon or older Deftones. I need lots of thickness and punch, good low-B response, and solid reliability. Guitarists are using a Framus Cobra and Peavey 5150, so I need to drive the songs with lots of balls from within, as opposed to out front. My lines move and are plenty interesting (and damn hard!) but I really can't be flying out front. Despite my need for thickness, I also need each note to be heard.

I'm quite happy with my 400+/610HLF setup, but I also found the SVT rig to be very tasty. Tasty enough to consider this trade, obviously! With the SVT, I'd employ my sonic maximizer (to remove the blurry "blanket" from the SVT sound) and my borrowed Sansamp RBI (for a touch of dirt).

Thanks in advance! :p

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You should go with your feelings, dude. You're the one who has to play it.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I understand, but I'm still having a bit of trouble narrowing down which rig to pursue. Both have unique tones and sound excellent with the signal processors I'll be using. The Ampeg's got more low-end and midrange "slam" whereas the Mesa's got a more hifi, clean tone. The Mesa's been pretty satisfying in the band for a little while now; I was just curious as to if the SVT + 8x10 rig would be more suitable and reliable for what I described. I used to play an SVT4-Pro in this band, and was reasonably satisfied but much prefer the 400+. The 4Pro is a totally different amp from the Classic, but I can't be sure how a "classic" rig would be in a progressive/death metal project.

4. I have the 400+ also but I use the Powerhouse 1000 under it,,, also I use the ampeg 8X10 in the jam room with a Ampeg B4R set MONO and that works but if I where you I'd try the bergantino 2X15 cab with your 400+ before I did anything...

it will be alot lighter than the 8X10 and totally blow it (and my 1000) right off the stage in a single note... now i don't have one but I tried it and it was like I had a whole new tube amp that day.

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    N store within a 3 and a half hours of me carries Bergs...... are they generally a brighter cab or more dark and punchy? I'd probably look into their 6x10 due to the amount of guitar speaker area I'll be going against onstage; I'm sure a 2x15 would sound excellent, but I think it might mud up too quickly.

Mostly, I need thunder that will send shivers down spines. Beef of epic proportions. I know both amps will deliver, but A/B-ing is for the most part an impossibility. So, I need to know from those of you experienced with both amps, which one is preferred.

6. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    For the music you are describing, I think the 810 would really give you that great low mid punch those cabs are known for, and really cut through the band. I prefer my 810 over the 610 I was previously using, especially paired with a tube amp. As for the heads, I think both are great. I'm currently using the CL, and love it, but the Mesa is a great amp as well. You might consider picking up an 810 on the used market.

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    cab-wise, my plan of action is a little devious: I scored this annihilated Ampeg 8x10 (that worked fine, it was just ugly) for $400. Found a guy that was specifically looking to trade his nearly-new Ampeg 6x10 (American) for a smashed-up 8x10, because he was going on tour and didn't want to worry about an expensive cab getting damaged. So now I've got a new 6x10.

Moving on, at a gig a couple weeks ago I got talking with this guy about amps, and he said that he's running a BB750 and Mesa PH1000 as his main rig, and has a brand-new 2004 SVT-CL/8x10 rig in his basement that he never uses, and offered to trade me for my 400+ and 6x10. The tempatation was great, but before jumping at anything I decided to consult the wise among Talkbass.

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Me personally, I'd do it in a minute since I'm a much bigger fan of Ampeg than Mesa. To hear yourself in your situation, I would stick with a sealed 10 cab. 6 or 8 is up to you. But no doubt I'd do the trade.