Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some first hand experiences with these teachers/festivals?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by BGreaney, Mar 24, 2005.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, I've been accepted to the summer program at Round Top in Texas where I can study with James VanDemark and Barry Liebermann. I'm also going to be hearing from the Chautauqua Institute where I could study with Curtis Burris. The only thing I really know about any of the teachers is that VanDemark is not going to focus on orchestral playing. As far as the festivals, I have some friends from my school that went last summer and loved it, but they're not bassists. Does anyone have any first hand experience at either festival or have experience with the teachers? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Hi Brian,

It really depends on what you are looking to get from your experience. JB is a great teacher but is very focused on the Solo Repertoire - however I have heard many of his former students in audition settings (or warming up beforehand) and many seemed to do OK with the licks. He will definitely fix up any technical things you might have going on. Isn't Barry Lieberman also at Round Top? He is a great player and has held some bigtime orchestral jobs - most definitely can teach the licks.

Curtis Burris is an interesting fellow too, having won Philly at 19, and has a lot of teaching experience. Friends of mine who have studied with him have all thought highly of his generosity and abilities as a teacher - I believe one of his students advanced at the St. Louis audition last fall.

I think either would be a great time - Chautauqua is very rustic and artsy.. Round Top is more cosmopolitan and I hear the food is great.

3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    haha yea that's pretty much what I had expected, including the food bit too, but I hadn't heard enough about Lieberman or Burris to make any judgements. Although, one thing I noticed last year when I visited Chautauqua with a friend of mine was that a few of the students had mentioned how Burris had made some of them cry? I wasn't really sure if they were soft or if he could just be really hard sometimes. I mean, Mr. Mensch has spent his fair share of time ripping into me so I think even if this was true, I'm sure I'd handle it fine, but do you or anyone else out there know if there's any truth to that?

4. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    re: Crying - It's possible, he's known to run a little 'hot' (I have a great story..). My understanding is that the people crying had to do with Brad Opland being there as a special guest teacher - he tends to really get inside people's heads. A friend of mine studied with him at DePaul and the stories are fantastic.

Barry Lieberman seems like a pretty big name in the Northwest - he was principal of Winnipeg and Assistant of LA back in the 70's, which I guess means he was hanging out with Bruce Bransby - I'm sure if you want to study orch. rep, you would get a good workout from Lieberman.

5. hamiang

hamiang

Apr 26, 2007
    Maryland, MD
    Hey, I just joined the forum and saw your post. I actually had the same exact situation of choosing between Round Top and Chautauqua! I decided to go to Round Top...Where are you going? I know four of the people who went to Chautauqua last year if you have any more questions about it, but I don't know much more about Round top than what has already been posted - good food, more solo playing. The reason I decided on Round Top is because the timing makes it so that I can go to Domaine Forget, too. Anyway, let me know where you are headed!