Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some funky recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kidcharlemagne, May 6, 2005.

1. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    Hi guys,

I'm a relatively new arrival on this site, so I thought I'd introduce myself with a few recordings.

First up, my musical tribute to Stanley Clarke, from the debut album of my pop/soul project, Broken Angel. Using a Jaydee GA24 (muted with a sock under the strings at the bridge!) for the bassline, and, in true Stanley style, an Alembic for the lead bass part:http://www.harambeuk.com/brokenangel/mp3s/BrokenAngelUntitled.mp3

Next up, a work in progress that I'm quite excited about - a demo version of a new song from the forthcoming second album by my funk/urban project, Harambe. This time, the b'line's unmistakably a slapped Stingray, and it's pretty obvious that I grew up listening to Marcus Miller . . .:
    http://www.harambeuk.com/brokenangel/mp3s/river of your indecision.mp3

If you're keen to hear a bit more, there are samples available on www.brokenangel.co.uk and very nifty audio streaming on www.harambeuk.com (this site will be updated as soon as we finish up in the studio!).

Cheers, guys - keep on funkin'!

K.

2. Good stuff, man. I listened all the way through and liked what I heard. What is your keyboard player using for that whistle type of a sound towards the end of the tune?

3. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    Cheers, Stretch. That whistly thing on the outro is a vintage Casio CZ-something (sorry, I'm not a numbers guy!) . . . yeah, you can have a studio full of Korgs, Moogs and fancy DX/VST virtual synths, and we still end up going back to the crusty old Casio . . .

K.

4. Thanks. That is interesting that it is a Casio. I've been trying to get a sound like that for a while. Anyway, good luck with your project and everyone sounds great on it.