1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some Gecko Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I really like the idea of a Gecko 5, particularly the "small" version. But I'm concerned about weight and neck fatness. I've never played a Gecko, but I tried a Deluxe 5 not too long ago that felt like it was made of cast iron. Probably 13+ lbs. I'm waaaay too old for that. I'd really like something in the sub-9 lb. range. Plus I'd like the neck to be pretty thin front-to-back. Am I dreaming, or is this possible?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you get a 9 pound Gecko, I think it'd be more of a Chameleon. Personally, I like to keep them in fishtanks, but filled and dirt and the kinda crap lizards like.

Oh.

Talk to Nino, or e-mail Warmoth. They're usually really good with answering.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure you're dreaming. You might get a bass in the 9.5 range but you have to specify that you want a light body which is an up charge. I haven't played a Small Gecko but the 2 Medium Gecko's I had had the standard Asymmetrical Warmoth neck.

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    A quick caliper check showed the small 5 to be about the same thickness of a Deluxe 5. As Nino indicated, the Gecko has an asymetric profile. (As does the Deluxe 5 neck.)

If weight is a concern, all Showcase bodies have been weighed and have their weight listed. This will give you a baseline.

-Eric.

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I've been playing my Gecko for about 2 years now. Alder body, Lacewood top and headstock, small neck. I'm not sure what it weighs, but it's not at all bothersome. The neck is extremely comfortable and playable.

GeckoFauto.