Some Geddy Lee info about his Wal bass and Jazz/Fusion/Funk styles

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by the_hook, Jun 5, 2013.

1. It was Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley who put Geddy back onto the jazz bass before the recording of Counterparts. I had a book with a part in it where Geddy talked about putting tones together for the record and Caveman suggesting that he tried the Jazz to get a rougher, bassier rock tone that he felt he wasn't getting from the Wall.

Regarding the influence of Bruford and that music scene, I know that Rush were well aware of it. Jeff Berlin remains a good friend of the band and Geddy said in interview that Jeff was "the best bassist of all time", or words to that effect.

Neil Peart even played on Jeff Berlin's 1984 album 'Champion', on the cover of the Cannonball Adderley song 'Marabi'. However, anecdotal evidence suggests the session didn't go all that well and Steve Smith ended up drumming on that song too. It seems in the end that both drum tracks were mixed in.

Bob_Ross and byoung93888 like this.
  2. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Interesting about Neil having issues on that song. I knew he played on Jeffs album but didnt know that.

Now, five years on from when I last posted on this thread...I got a Wal MK1 about a year or so ago. I recently tried the light string Funkmasters and loved how it worked with this bass. My MKI is a 1984 and the neck has a pronounced V shape, nothing too uncomfortable, but it took some time to adjust to and the lighter strings really helped.

kasroc likes this.
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    To reiterate what you said in your post 5 years ago...

I, sir, hate you!

:bawl:

Want Wal so bad!!!

Hoping history repeats itself! I've also wanted a Wal for more years that I can count! :D

4. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    =)

Well...I have been toying with the idea of selling my MKI with maple facings and getting a solid color MKII...=)

5. If you are interested in reading more, look the song up on YouTube. The comments section includes some interesting stuff from someone who claimed to have been at the recording session. I'd prefer not to repeat the uncorroborated events discussed there here, but you may wish to check it out.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016

I’m glad you said this. I just bought my first set of funkmasters to try them out on my Mk1 for the first time. Dropped my bass off this morning to have my luthier set it up proper. Can’t wait to try them out. I’ve been using 45-105’s my whole life. Should be interesting.

Glad to join this thread! I’ve read it a whole bunch of times over the years. I guess I’ve been channeling my inner Ged lately with the official end of Rush per Lifeson this week.

7. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I said previously, i used to use Funkmasters back in the 80s then transitioned to a little heavier DRs eventually. When I tried the FMs again years later, they were too light. On the Wal, they work well, though I have to lighten my touch a little but so far so good!

kasroc likes this.
  8. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I’ve a tremendous amount of respect for Wal basses, but I find that a lot of Wal users, had them for a while but only for a small few did it become their forever bass. A lot of them had a productive affair with a Wal. Then went back.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021