Some general amp setup questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Even though my next amp purchase is probably years away...its good to know things. As you all may know, I play 'punk.' I also play passive Fender basses. My ideal sound is a bassy, yet clear sound that cuts through a mix like a hot knife through butter. This would probably mean a ton of midrange oomph, without being muddy. It should also sound kind of dirty and old school.

I messed around with amps at Guitar Center once. I found that a Mesa Boogie head through an 8x10 cab works. It gets me pretty close to the sound. The Mesa was tube powered. I'd assume I'd almost need a tube head to get my sound. As for the cabs...8x10s give you that big wall of mids, right? Would there be anything more suited to my needs?

And how do the Ampeg tube heads sound in comparison to the Mesas? (Mpulse 600 and 400+) Thank you all in advance.
  2. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I sold my Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp, and retired my 1000 watt power amp to my P.A., as I just bought an M-Pulse 600. EXCELENT amp! Nothing against Ampeg by any means, they sound great! But, the Ampeg tone is very specific, in my opinion. The Mesa has far more range. Also, the responsiveness of the 600 watt M-Pulse left my 1000 watt power amp in the dust!

As far as cabs go, check out the Bag End S15-D. They give you thump, but have a serious HONK and GROWL to them as well. I couple my S15-D with a SWR Goliath JR III which has a very scooped tone, and it balances out quite well. But if one wanted that very low-mid heavy tone, a S-15D coupled with a S15X-D (the one with the tweeter) would do the trick nicely! Plus, two of these are a hell of a lot easier to load & unload than an 8x10.

At least check them out...