Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some general questions about scale relation to chords (mainly for soloing purposes)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 11, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wondering if you more theory trained indivduals could help me here. I know basic chord and scale theory. I understand that E Phyrgian is just C major played starting on an E. I also know that a C maj 7th is based on the 1,3,5, and 7th degrees of a C Ionian scale.

My question is, while playing lines, over a set chord progression. How do I know which scales can be utilized over them. Espcially such things as broken scales and diminished and augmented ones. Sorry if that question seems to broad.

Also, I was wondering how to immediatley distinquish between a Diatonic and the other kind (I know I sound like a goober not knowing all the terminology here :D ) type of chord progression.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for all the help Ed. That helps me make some sense. Resolution is a big question I have, normally due to trying to compose stuff. I've heard people talk about tritones and they are based on resolution, but they never really explained what they were.