Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some guy told me....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by erotomaniac, Sep 8, 2002.

1. that if i wanted to be good on the fretboard i should buy a book called Bach for Bass. IS it good?

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have "J.S. Bach For Bass" by Josquin des Pres and I like it. Great with helping you with your technique and learning the fretboard (b/c the pieces go all around the fretboard. You can be on the 5th fret in one beat then suddenly on the next beat be on the 17th.)

The only downside of this book is it gives you the tabz under it which I find annoying. They don't exactly give the best fingering anyway...And do not help you at all if you are placing yourself in a site-reading situation. In a site-reading situation you should determine yourself what positions you should play in.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IMO the best way to learn your fingerboard is by practicing your scales in all 12 keys both major and minor as well as saying the note and its interval as you fret it.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    use regular tape to cover the tab part on every page... (or a whole bottle of "liquid paper" or the roller version of it)... Optional: do the before and take photocopies of the book (tabz won't print out)

it worx0rs!

:)

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Another downside is the quality of the included recording and performance, which is cheesy at best. The dynamics and articulations in the "score" seem to be often ignored completely, the playing is kind of sloppy, and the interpretation leaves much to be desired if you are even slightly familiar with any decent legit recordings of the same works. However, it seems to be close to the only game in town for readily available Bach transcriptions, so it may be best to simply get the book and do as BRAVE CASTRATO says and simply white out the TaBz when using it.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think ya'll need to white the tabs out, for fear that you may find yourselves actually using them!

Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:D :D :D

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I did the translation just so any tabbers who might read this wouldn't feel left out. :)

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sweet! Thanks, Crass Fitzdrizzle.

;)

Ha ha! My very first name game name.