Some help here.........

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassdadto2, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    Guys, I need advice. Not to brag, but my band are all frightening players. But as such, we have an annoying habit of tryibg to one up each other, and we forget to let the music breathe. I call this "Flecktoning".

How can we remedy this?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Tie one hand behind your back and practise blindfold?

Well this is the bass humour section! ;)
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Record your shows. Listen to them together. Point out where you're stepping on each others' lines.
    Agree who is going to do what when, and stick to it.
    Other than a bassist...let the dogs fight it out and be confident in your talent so as not to need to prove it at every opportunity to everyone listening.
  4. My band did this for a bit, It gets old real fast especially when your playing a gig and the fans are just staring at you with no response. I think we all realized that we needed a change real fast. we went back to some catchy three chord riffs with some cool lyrics and it was a huge change for the better. Now we play out and people are dancing and most of them have been to our other shows so the crowd is singing along to our originals and that's a real cool feeling. that's what music is all about no one cares if you can play 64th notes with your nose they just want to listen to catchy music. to prove this go to the next non musician you see and ask them who jaco postorious is, and when they say DUHHHHH I don't know, ask them who Green day Is.;) :eek: I think it's time for me to duck and run now:eek:
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Do what the Flecktones do: swap instruments!

You'll all be back to playing "Louie Louie" in no time.
  6. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Oh so true.

It may be my turn now.