1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some help ID'ing a Guitar and Case...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Journey55, Mar 6, 2013.

1. I was recently gifted this by a very nice lady off craigslist (I was trying to trade a cabinet for it but the lady said her husband owned it and a bunch of other guitars and they were trying to sell them and she said I could have it for free since the logo was really worn and it would be difficult to sell).

The tuners say 'Made in W. Germany' and have a Squiggly line in the center of them.

The case has nothing on it except the latches say 'CHENEY England World Patents Pending'

(The inside of the case is black, not blue. My camera just sucks)

Thanks for any help guys!

(apparently I can only attach two files per post so...here's the headstock)

Attached Files:

2. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm not seeing the pix...don't know if the problem is on my end or yours...

3. the pics aren't visible for me either...

4. The whole guitar...

Attached Files:

5. and the case (i'd like to restate that the inside is actually black, my camera just sucks)

Attached Files:

6. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Just a quick look...

It is obviously modelled after the Fender Telecaster, if it isn't actually a real Fender Tele. If it is infact a Telecaster it isn't that old as the really old, dare I say "vintage" Telecasters, did not have individual saddles per string. The original design had three saddles with two strings per saddle, an intonation nightmare to be sure.

With the logo removed I might be a kit guitar like a Warmoth or something along those lines, or it could be a Squier that somebody wanted to do the "relic'd" look with and was planning on slapping a Fender of logo at some point. Who knows for sure.

At the end of the day, I'd probably just give it a full set up and new strings. If you like it then keep it and just enjoy it and don't worry about the particulars too much. It doesn't really matter if it's a Fender or not, just if you like the way it plays and sounds.

I hope this helps.

7. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Obviously if the tuners say 'made in W. Germany' the tuners were made before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Maybe it was a knock off made behind the Iron Curtain as I hear they couldn't get western made guitars during the Cold War?

The case could have been bought at any time so don't worry about that.

Sure looks like a lovely guitar that's been played a lot! What's it like to play & how does it sound?

8. I thought it might've been a knock-off however I read about checking the neck a few minutes ago and found this..regardless, it plays like a dream so it doesn't matter to me, I'd just like to know some stuff about it

Attached Files:

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    That's a 1966 Tele neck. But who would remove the decals?

10. Well there's a Fender logo on the neck, it's just REALLY faded and it looks like someone put lamanent over it or something

11. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Dreamy playing guitar for free - you are a lucky b@stard Mr Journey55!

I'm out of my depth with that date stamp.

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool man. Looks like they replaced hardware but if the body & neck are OG you've got a good piece on your hands. Hardware can be replaced; the body & neck are the heart & soul anyway.