some help making a neck.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Mar 25, 2005.

1. i just wanted to know how to tell if the woods u plane to use for a neck are dried enough. is there a good book or website.
  2. Use a hydrometer designed for this purpose. There's no other way
  3. Fruitfly

Fruitfly Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    Indeed, you need fully seasoned wood; dried under naturel conditions or in a kiln (sometimes both) to a moisture content somewhere in between 6 and 12%, at which it is dimensionally stable- free of warpage, shrinkage, and checking. Book: "Animal Magnetism for Musicians." Distributor: The Bold Strummer LTD.
  4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    You can also buy your wood from a supplier who sells "instrument quality" wood. A good supplier will ensure for the instrument grade wood they sell, that the grain, moisture content and other things are up to spec.

I buy my wood from Gallery Hardwoods as do many other builders.
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Speaking of wood moisture levels, I heard (from a guy that owns a local sawmill) that "air-dryed" wood is stronger and more stable than kiln dried wood. He said something about the kiln drying process crushing or collapsing certain cellular structures inside the wood. Is this true?
  6. Fruitfly

Fruitfly Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    Seasoning wood is an art mastered by a very few; it takes a lifetime's worth of experience to know how to handle any tree of any species without causing defects such as splitting, collapse, or honeycombing, which are the results of faulty drying techniques.
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I think I'll stick to ordering pre-dried wood.
  8. Fruitfly

Fruitfly Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    That's an option, but watching and feeling the wood through the seasons creates a bond really...
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Oh, you nasty boy, you! LOL :D
  10. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    This is a little off topic, but does anyone know where to find this book now? LMI carried it and I tried to order it... just after they discontinued it. :( any help here would be appreciated.
  11. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)