Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some help me...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PunkUbi, Jan 30, 2003.

1. PunkUbi

PunkUbi

Jan 30, 2003
    Ok, here's the deal. I'm extremely new to playing bass or any instrument for that matter but I really wanna learn and I'm willing to. I don't know the first thing about playing bass and I can't take lessons because the 'closest' place is 18 miles away. What I'm asking for is if someone can talk to me here or through AIM about teaching me the basics og playing a bass. I'm willing to learn and I know it'll take time but I'm a quick learner and I really don't wanna put $250+ into something and wind up not using it...

Help teh n00b! Thanks in advance.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd suggest that you have a look under FAQ. There is a section in that that gives you some ideas on instructional books that'll help you get started (that's how I did it 15 years ago!)

Also, there's a piece written be Jazzbo - one of the moderators - that gives a good insight into a lot of music theory which I've been meaning to study for a while. It's well written, in plain simple terms (unlike some books I've found)!

I can't find the link to Jazzbo's piece just now - hope this can get you started!

:)

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass. Another thought is the General Instruction forum - you'll get some good tips there and mayeb check out Technique!

3. Hi, I'm a rookie at this too. Just got my first bass yesterday.

I will recommend that you buy a guitar tuner (so your bass are in perfect tune). Then play a simple song on your CD and start playing along. I do it that way by a Rockman headphone amp with an aux input to my CD player. And it works fine... :)

Good luck!

/Niels A.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to General Instruction...

5. Thats the one!!

You shoudl study the article, and pick up a theory book, like Johnny said!

It would be best using somethign WITHOUT tab, so you can leanr the staff much better. I've found Mel Bay books to be pretty useful" I have the Absoulute Beginnings Book To Theory.. or something like that.. ;)

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's the fellow! I've been meaning to sit down and really get into that lately!!! Work and separation have gobbled up most of my time lately - but now that the band has split up:( I'll have a bit more time on my hands to improve myself!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

First lesson :

You get exactly what you pay for!! Nothing more and nothing less ;)

8. To stay with the subject of learning bassists, what are in your oppinion good songs to start learning to play bass, lets say, for somebody who likes hardrock/metal? i've started with playing early black sabbath songs like paranoid and electric funeral. But what songs would you recomend?
    IMHU "gone with the sin" by HIM is also quite a nice song to start with, tho i find it quite fast lol (hey i'm a rooky wod u expect?) tho it has a simple bassline.

9. I will chime in on the side of getting lessons. 18 miles is not far to go at all. The amount of progress that you will be able to make with a teacher is worth the 20-30 minutes in the car to get there. You will get the most bang for your buck and have a more fulfilling learning experience with a good teacher.

If you want to do it well be serious about it.