Some help please guys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string fury, Apr 26, 2004.

1. You might have seen my earlier thread concerning Kubicki basses, but the deal is.
    i live in England and have finally saved the money (about £1000, think it mite b in the region of 1600dollars possibly)
    for a decent bass, for my bassing career i have always wanted a stingray (can anyone tell me what G.A.S stands for) and now im at a point where i can afford one. but the other day my dad pointed out a kubicki x-factor for sale, i'd never heard of these but after some research it seems to be in the big league of basses. i know the different specks for the basses, wood, pickups, scale etc but it will be a while before i get too pick up the kubicki for a test run. i was wondering what anyone else would be leaning to in my situation or would you recommend another bass apart from a stingray or x-factor. i love the stingrays thumpy, hard hitting tone, can this be achieved by the x-factor?
    Sorry to droan on, too sum up....Kubicki x-factor or Stingray? :confused:
  2. For the longest time, I wanted to know what G.A.S. meant too. Then, someone said G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Made sense to me. Hope that's correct.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Kubicki = weird looking with an awkward to use drop d tuner.
    (You can do the same with a hipshot!)
    Played one, it was o.k. (ish) ..... Get the Stingray.
  4. I love Kubickis, and I've found that for me they are the best 4-string bass for down-and-dirty funk, as they are true slapping machines. I find them very ergonomic, with a strong presence and crystal tones.

You can always get a Stingray later :)
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Ever considered a Bongo? :D Not sure if it's within ur budget tho...
    Haven't played the Kubicki before, but the soundclips sound really good :) If it's tried and tested you want, then go for the stingray. The best way to find out which one is for you, is to go try them out.
    But for $1600, there are also many other basses out there (e.g. Used - Lakland, Fbass, MTD) that you might wanna consider. And if you save up a bit more, you'd be able to buy a brand new Sadowsky Metro! :D
  6. Um, awkard...NOT!...its a godsend and its so much easier to play droped songs without having to transpose....

id go with the kubicki, 2 active and 3 passive modes, so much diversity and a godsend if your battery dies during a gig, where you can just switch it to a pasive setting, and they sound great too, unlike the stingray if the batt dies and you dont have a backup you're stuffed, and wierd looking? um the bongo looks weird but its plays great, same deal with a kubicki

but man, go with whatever you think sounds and feels good to you, i went with what i tought and it was up against and american deluxe fender jazz, gl l2000, MM stinray and an ibanez doug wimbish, and the kubicki just stood out and sounded better than the others to me
  7. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001

Here is the answer to your question. If you've always wanted a Stingray then get it or you won't be happy. I don't think that you'll ever hear a credible source speak a critical word as to the quality of these instruments.

Great bass.
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, you know, maybe in the US you can get those for that much, but here on the ol' Continent, its way harder to come by those things - not to mention for that much...

Back to topic, go and try both if you can.