Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some help please...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rich600, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Hey, im not really new to bass(been playin about 2 years) and i can play almost anything but i have a problem with my technique - i dont have a fixed one, i tend to swap between different ones and tryin to see which is best but i cant seem to find one that sticks and sounds good consistantly, i vary between using a pick and my fingers and sometimes even swap during songs! but i was just wonderin if you guys could give me a few pointers? :)

Just incase you were wondering i use an ibanez gsr205 and an ibanez edb600.
    Rich

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yikes - doesn't sound like a problem to me! Most of us start out all hell-bent on either finger or pick, and much later have to start fresh on the other; playing like a total newbe, and repeatedly explaining to everyone we're playing with "thanks for bearing with me, Guys - I'm learning this new technique, and I just HAVE to MAKE myself play this way until I get it right". I've been spending the last half-year or so of band practices being apologetic, but noooooowww things are comin'-around with my finger style! Oh yeah.

It just ain't fair that you don't have to go through that too.

Joe

3. It's better to have two then one like Joe said some prefer one or the other but if they have'nt learned the other technique then they have to start from scratch whereas you have an advantage

I use both techniques mainly fingerstyle but when the oppurtunity comes to use a pick I can use it
    So IMO just carry on later on by experience you'll find out which technique the song calls for because you can play both techniques

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. Now that my finger style is getting solid, I'm grabbing the pick again much more often. There's nothing like the sound and groove-feel of a nice, trebly picked part.

I wish there was a way for me to switch faster between finger and pick. I've had some success lately with holding the pick between thumb and index, and finger-plucking with middle and ring - I can even still mute by thumb-trailing somewhat. I'm still inexperienced enough (about 2yrs) that I'm in constant danger of falling out of the groove if I'm distracted - I can hardly even stomp a stompbox without fear. ..And in a three-piece band I GOTTA keep in that pocket, or its really noticeable!

Joe

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    This is gonna be hard to explain but ill try...when you have the pick between your thumb and index finger and you want to change to fingerstyle you just sort of slide it with your thumb under your ring finger and hold it between the bit of your finger underneath your knuckle where it bends and the next joint up on the same finger, then you have two fingers free and your thumb for mutes/slaps etc...hope thats understandable! :bassist:

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heeeey.. that's not too bad! I use the big, curve-sided triangle picks (heavy), so I can sort of just 'drop' the pick, and snatch it up in there with ring/pinky. I'm not quite as slick so far when I try to put things back into plectrum mode, but even now it's faster than reaching over for it on the mic stand or the pickup cutout. I'm pretty quick grabbing it out of my lips (probably muscle memory from 20yrs of cigaretts), but I can't use that method when singing!

I'm going to practice this technique - when I don't have to do three-fingered triplets, that is (that's another technique I'm working on!)

Thanks, Rich -

Joe

7. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    No probs Joe, i found this really really useful as i sing and play bass so i dont really have time to look take my head away from the mic, looks more professional aswell. Do you mean the stubby triangle bass picks? i used to love them but now i cant stand them, i just dont like the sound they give, nowadays i use the jim dunlop M/L's but still switch between fingers a lot. oh well...

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uhh - I dunno. I looks like this...

9. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Yeah thats them! Beasts huh?