Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Help Please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Imaheathen, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Imaheathen

Imaheathen

Sep 6, 2005
    Hi, well, im not very good at playin bass yet, but i want to play in a band in spring so i want to be able to play pretty godd pretty soon. So i checked out this internetsite and was wondering if u guys think this is just placebo or if it might even help. Or do u think its only a site where they take ur money and give u nothing? http://www.fret2fret.com/bass.html
    thats the site, please help me. Thanks a lot. I'm a heathen

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    It's a scam imho. Do a search here for other threads about this "product". It's been discussed before.

If you're looking for lesson materials to improve, might I suggest checking out http://www.activebass.com/. There's a lot of good lesson resources there that will help far more than F2F will imo. And they're free. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:

3. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I have some incredibly talented friends and co-musicians, and I once asked one of them if he knew any shortcuts to perform a specific technique and he reminded me that practice is the only way to get where you want to go in music. There's ear-training, muscle memory, theory, application, and a myriad of other things that go into the way an individual plays. You won't sound good if you just go through motions, and you'll never get your sound if you think good enough is good enough. A hunger for learning and an addiction to practice will get you on the right path to improving as a bass player. It's just like losing weight, there's not pill you can take to make you a better player.

4. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Amen. The quickest way to improve is to spend your time practicing instead of wasting it looking for shortcuts.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    heheh, the best thing about that site is that the author has left his ftp site open and you can download his "product" free of charge... but trust me, it's a complete joke!!!

Danny DeVito was checking out Cher's Flat chest, when Arnold Scwarzenegger caught him and...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $27.99 for that crap? And that's supposed to give you total fretboard command? Gawd, I downloaded it for free and I feel ripped off!

On the other hand, I really like this "Ancient Art of Bonsai" PDF. This guy should stick to that.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Heh, yeah, mad aint it. I wonder how many he actually sells?

You understand why I had no quarms about posting a link to his FTP site on a public forum and potentially ruining his business selling this carp? The guy is robbing anyone who buys it, plus he should be smarter and not leave his door open.

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    you can't take shortcuts in this game...

and what would be the point anyway even if you could?

does anyone really want to be helicoptered to the top of Mount Everest? it's the journey, not the destination

9. Sturge

Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    Dear Fret2Fret man,

It's spelt Gary LINEKER. :rolleyes:

Everyone on here should download this crap, just to mess his bandwidth up and teach him a lesson.

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    God, I can't believe I actually read through that S*&T! I'll abbreviate it for the rest of you who haven't yet, because it's REALLY not worth it. He deserves a hot poker in the eye for actually trying to sell that crap to people.

In other words, learn the "Cycle of 4ths".

11. Sturge

Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    With a cunning twist though... he's replaced the notes with 80s celebrities! It's like reality TV meets music theory - this fella might not be much of a conman but if he was a television producer he'd be headed for the top..