Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the Ernie, Jan 3, 2003.

1. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    Oceanside,NY
    Im lookin to buy some new equipment. A couple of qeustions 1)What is the difference between 10' 12' and 15' speakers? 2) what are some good speaker brands? 3) I like to play all kinds of music with emphasis on DEEP sounds so what are some suggestions on speakers and amps that will help me get a clean, punchy, deep sound?

I play a modulus Q5 and i really want to get this sounding like it should. I play through a Peavey tnt115s. The thing is too weak for me and theres too much fuzziness. All help is appreciated.
    Thanks-The Ernie

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The "Fuzziness" you mention from your Peavey TNT isn't because of the speaker, its because of the amp. You likely need more power for whatever you are doing.

Without knowing more about your situation, I'd suggest at least 300 watts of power in whatever amp you choose in your price range.

As for speaker size, 10's provide great punch and clarity, but its hard to get deep, smooth lows with them unless you run lots of power through them and have several 10's, as in a 4x10 cab, generally speaking. 15's will provide you rounder, smoother, deeper lows generally, but you sacrifice some punch and snap. Some people prefer 12's as a good middle ground, others will tell you to get a 15 with two 10's run together for the best of both worlds. Since you've expressed that you like "deep" sounds, a 1x15 or 2x15 cab will likely be what you need.

Best of luck to you.

3. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    I think the best solution is to have both 10" and 15" cabinets. This way you have a complete spectrum of whole bass sound.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    JMBass is on the right track. For several years my gig-rig was a 2x15 cab with a 2x10 cab on top.300W to the 15's, 160W to the 10's

But someday you too will get old and look at a rig like mine and say "Ohhhhh nonononono. This aint right at all!"

Now I'm trying to get the same sound and volume out of a rig I can carry all at once.

I haven't found it yet.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Bag End 15" + plenty of power works for me.