Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some help please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kevin V, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I bought a nice starter bass about a month ago and recently bought a nice amp to go with it. But as i have been playing i notice that i get a clunking noise, especially when i slap. Ive tried different settings on the amp, different pickups, using my fingers, picks etc. but i usually get that same clunk. Im pretty sure that the action is way too low, but i wanted to make sure because i bought it from a salesman who is fairly knowledgeable about bass. Im hoping that he wouldnt let me go off with a new bass, waiting for me to come back to him for some repairs.

2. sounds like a simple setup could do it. Take it to someone and let them know how you play, you may even demonstrate. A good setup person should be able to figure out what to do. Sounds to me (I'm no expert) like you could raise the action and/or give the neck a little relief.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    yeah, setup, let's go there.......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This is just a thought, if your pick ups are set too high the strings will hit them and you get a "clunk" type sound. You say this happens especially when you slap, which means hitting the string harder so the string might just becoming in contact with the pick up. I notice you said you've tried diff pick ups so like I said just a thought.

Good luck I hope you find a fix.