some help please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kevin V, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I bought a nice starter bass about a month ago and recently bought a nice amp to go with it. But as i have been playing i notice that i get a clunking noise, especially when i slap. Ive tried different settings on the amp, different pickups, using my fingers, picks etc. but i usually get that same clunk. Im pretty sure that the action is way too low, but i wanted to make sure because i bought it from a salesman who is fairly knowledgeable about bass. Im hoping that he wouldnt let me go off with a new bass, waiting for me to come back to him for some repairs.
  2. sounds like a simple setup could do it. Take it to someone and let them know how you play, you may even demonstrate. A good setup person should be able to figure out what to do. Sounds to me (I'm no expert) like you could raise the action and/or give the neck a little relief.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    yeah, setup, let's go there.......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    This is just a thought, if your pick ups are set too high the strings will hit them and you get a "clunk" type sound. You say this happens especially when you slap, which means hitting the string harder so the string might just becoming in contact with the pick up. I notice you said you've tried diff pick ups so like I said just a thought.

Good luck I hope you find a fix.